Culture

Entertainment News

Tonight

If you feel like you got the moves, check out Ritmo Caliente Del Caribe Orchestra, an Afro-Caribbean ensemble that mixes jazz and Latin American music. The starts at 8 p.m. behind SunTrust Bank on Hollywood Boulevard and 20th Street, Hollywood and is free. 954-926-3377.

New Found Glory, pop-rock group, play the UC Patio at 8 p.m.

Ladytron for Revolver at SoHo Lounge, 175 NE 36th St., Miami. 305-576-1988.

Saturday, September 28
It’s all about the jazz at the Broward Center for Performing Arts, 201 SW 5th Ave., Ft. Lauderdale , starting at 8 p.m. as drummer Ron Hayne, accompanied by several other musician, presents Birds of a Feather: A Charlie Parker Tribute. $19-$39. 954-462-0222.

Hardcore group Snapcase rock the stage at the Factory, 2674 E. Oakland Park Blvd.
Call 954-564-7625.

Sunday, September 29
Music prodigy Conor Oberst’s Bright Eyes plays with M Ward and the Bruces at the Manuel Airtime Theatre, 900 SW 1st St. Tickets are $12 in advance and $14 at the door. Call 305-274-9282 for more info.

El Gran Combo, the Puerto Rican salsa group, performs at the Broward Center, Au-Rene Theater, 201 SW 5th Ave., Fort Lauderdale. Hit up 954-462-0222 for more info.

Thursday, October 3
Word, a poetry session hosted by Amaali, at 10 p.m. at the new 190 restaurant, 190 NE 46th St., Miami. You can hear the words for free, so call 305-576-9779 for more info.

October 5
Biz Markie at Billboard Live, 1500 Ocean Dr., Miami. 305-538-4977.

Friday, October 11
God Loves Ugly Tour 2002, a hip hop show headlined by Atmosphere, opens for Revolver at the SoHo Lounge, 175 NE 36th St., Miami. $10. 305-576-1988.

Saturday, October 12
Nastie’s First Annual Hip Hop Festival feat. TALIB KWELI at the Hard Rock CafE, 401 Biscayne Blvd, Bayside. The well-gifted MC from New York will be spitting ill rhymes alongside performances by the Monjees, Algorithm, the Mad Dingos, Aboroginals and the THC crew. Doors open at 9 p.m. and it only costs $8 and 2 cans of food to get in. Call 305-579-9762.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...