Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY

Hurricane Howl and Homecoming Opening Ceremonies are at 7:30 p.m. on the UC Patio.

Festival Miami presents “Extreme Strings Part I: Celtic, Country, and Jazz” with James Kelly, Buddy Spicher, Matt Glaser at the Maurice Gusman Concert Hall from 8 to 10:30 p.m.

Movie: I’m Going Home at the Cosford Cinema at 9:30 p.m.

SEPTEMBER 30

Gables Gallery Night 7 -10 p.m. at various art galleries throughout Coral Gables.

OCTOBER 1

Applications are due today for study abroad programs for the spring semester. For more information, email www.studyabroad.miami.edu.

Lilo and Stitch @ Cosford Cinema, 8 p.m. and 10 p.m.

OCTOBER 2

“Soul-Searching: Neuroscience & Philosophy” is a symposium prepared to explore the relationship between philosophy and the neurosciences. Speakers will include Dr. Durel, Psychology; Dr. Evnine, Philosophy; Dr. Siegel, Philosophy; Dr Siewart, Philosophy; and Dr. Wilson, Biology.

OCTOBER 6

The Society of Bar and Gavel will host the RACE Judicata, a 5K run/walk around the UM campus to raise money for the CHARLEE Family Cares Homes Program, which provides alternative housing to emotionally challenged children in the Miami-Dade community. For more information, visit the Dean of Students office at the Law School, room 212, or email barandgavel@law.miami.edu.

Tour the Biltmore hotel from 1:30 -4:30 p.m.

OCTOBER 7

The Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Community (GLBC) is sponsoring a number of events this week to celebrate Coming Out Week. Opening ceremonies are at noon on Monday, Oct. 7. They will include music, food and a discussion panel called GAY 101.

Lunch with Larry Coker at the Rat from 11:45 a.m. -1 p.m.

OCTOBER 8

The UM Department of Theatre Arts announces Totally Tuesdays, four performances at the Ring Theatre free for students. The first play, Oct. 8, The Laramie Project, starts at 8 p.m.; theatre doors will open at 7:30 p.m.

OCTOBER 13

The Asian American Students Association will present the fourth annual Run and Gun Football Tournament on the IM fields. Register during the Asian American Students Association general meetings before Oct. 10. Contact Darrel Cabias at aasaum@yahoo.com for more information.

OCTOBER 26

The Department of Multicultural Student Affairs will offer a free practice test for the MCAT, LSAT, GRE or GMAT. RSVP by calling 800-2Review.

Last week, the first floor of the Ponce Garage opened its gates to provide parking for students only. Until the garage is completely opened, faculty and staff must continue to park in the City of Coral Gables Municipal Lot 42 until notified by the Parking & Transportation Services Department. Should you have any questions or concerns, call 305-284-3074.

The Lowe Art Museum on the Coral Gables campus encourages families to explore two exhibitions: “Ink, Water, Brush, Hand and Heart: Painting from the Chinese Collection” and “China: Fifty Years Inside the People’s Republic.” The latter features work by 25 Chinese and Western photographers in a collection of over 200 color and silver-gelatin photos relating to culture, politics and everyday life during political upheaval.

Last day to apply for graduation for mid-year commencement is October 3.

The Asian American Students Association would like to present the fourth annual Run and Gun Football Tournament. This event is promoted and supported by the Asian Student Union (FIU), Filipino Student Association (UM) and the Indian Students Association (UM).
The event will be held Sunday, Oct. 13. Registration is held at the University of Miami during the Asian American Students Association general meetings and at Florida International University during the Asian Student Union general meetings. If you cannot make it to either site please contact Darrel Cabias at aasaum@yahoo.com and proper measures for accommodations will be taken. The deadline for registration (team rosters) is Oct. 10 at the Asian American Student Association’s second general meeting.

Professor Barry C. Scheck, co-founder of the Innocence Project and faculty member at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, will address students, faculty and attorneys in a question and answer session about the problems with our current justice system. Professor Scheck has led a national movement to free wrongfully convicted people in death row, prisons and jails throughout the United States. Florida is a state with a number of recent and high-visibility exonerations. Immediately following the Q&A, Professor Scheck, who has represented defendants such as Hedda Nussbaum, O.J. Simpson, Louise Woodward and Abner Louima, will hold a training session for University of Miami law students and local attorneys in how to utilize Florida’s existing laws to obtain DNA testing for prisoners who may be exonerated. The session will take place today from 9 to 10:30 a.m. at the School of Law, Room F109. Contact Jonathan Simon, UM Law School professor, at (305) 284-2592 for more information.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...