Wellness Center offers variety of fitness options

The Wellness Center [WC] has recently spent $150,000 replacing all of their resistance training equipment, said Chris Locke, WC director.

“The students are paying the Wellness Center fee and should get their money’s worth. That includes making sure students have the best possible equipment,” Ali Paredes said. “The equipment is up-to-date and there are a wide variety of machines for every muscle, unlike other places I’ve been such as the YMCA.”

The new Magnum equipment is located in the fitness room on the ground floor of the Wellness Center.

A longtime perk of the Wellness Center is the free aerobics classes offered to all patrons.

Classes are offered in everything from step classes to cardio kickboxing to funk aerobics.

David Porter, Assistant Director of the Wellness Center, is in charge of running the aerobics, studio cycling, yoga and a myriad of instructional programs.

It doesn’t matter how stressful the day is,” said Rita Deutsch, associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. “By the time I get done I’m totally stress-free. The teachers are all professionally wonderful and they have the most broad-ranging, wonderful programs. I’ve seen a change in myself health-wise since I’ve been going and would encourage all students to take part.”

Students could entertain themselves for hours and never have to go to an aerobics class” Porter said.

Deutsch said she goes to classes three nights a week after work.

“It gets stress out and makes you feel like you’ve accomplished something in your day,” Paredes agreed.

Instructional programs such as studio cycling, various forms of yoga, swimming lessons, meditation, karate, fencing, soccer, weight training and tennis are all examples of what can be taken at the Wellness Center.

Dance classes such as hip-hop, swing, ballet, belly dance and salsa have been popular with students.

“I have already learned a lot after only two classes,” freshman Lauren Brown said. “It’s a lot of fun and the teachers are all really good.”

Intramural and club sports also run out of the Wellness Center. Intramural sports include flag football, floor hockey, inner tube water polo, ultimate frisbee, soccer and more. Participation has increased over the past year, with flag football growing from 61 teams last year to over 80 teams this year. Club sports offer a variety of different opportunities for students to compete against other universities at lower than the varsity level as well as to socialize and learn more about their given sport.

“Soccer is fun and relaxing even though the flag football teams take over the field,” said Angie Pendergrass.

UM student Ben Everard once found himself competing against a 60-year-old man in racquetball.

“He killed me. I was completely smoked,” Everard said.

The Wellness Expo will be held Oct. 16 from 5-7 p.m. It will be a large health fair with a Halloween Haunted House theme. According to Janet Tiberian, WC assistant director, the main purpose of this expo will be to improve the campus’ overall wellness.

“This event will expose students and the UM community to campus and community resources to help wellness. The more people get involved with different activities, the more their wellness will improve,” Tiberian said.

Dance demonstrations, massages and trial classes will be offered.

The Wellness Education Series held on Wednesday nights features the classes “Time Management for Perfectionists” and “How to Avoid the Freshman Fifteen,” along with cooking demonstrations of paella and Thai food.

For more information on Wellness Center programs, call 305-284-3253 or visit the website at www.miami.edu/wellness.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...