Volleyball still undefeated

A free T-shirt and free pizza weren’t the only attraction at the University of Miami women’s volleyball game Friday night.

The unbeatable Hurricane volleyball team (11-0) blew by the competition as they put together a three-game victory over the Owls of Florida Atlantic University (5-10).

Not only did the win better their record to 11 straight victories for this season, but it also increased their win streak dating back to last season as it now stands at a national best 22 matches.

The ‘Canes had no trouble in the first game of the match as they rolled to a 30-21 victory. The next two games, however, didn’t go as planned.

Game 2 saw the Hurricanes edge passed the Owls only by four points. They won by a score of 30-26, but this game brought out a few highlights from freshman middle blocker Karla Johnson, as she showed her skills off with a series of outstanding kills and blocks early in the game.

In the third game of the match, the Owls kept it close the whole time. The ‘Canes were down by one with the score at 26-27, but they roared back with four unanswered points that were capitalized by Elizabeth Tyson’s (Sophomore, outside hitter) game-winning kill. The ‘Canes won 30-27 in a nail-biter, and they improved on their already flawless record.

Senior team leader Marcella Gamarra played exceptional as she registered a team-high 12 kills. She also had a match-high 13 digs on the defensive end.

Valeria Tipiana continued her solid play with a 10-kill effort and .409 attack percentage. Sophomore outside hitter Elizabeth Tyson had a match high .562 kill percentage and 11 kills for the night.

The match also brought out the impressive skills of two freshmen. Middle blocker Karla Johnson had 11 kills with a .450 attack percentage on the night as well as a match high 6 blocks (two solo, four block assists). Setter Margie Young, the team’s leader in assists, added to her season total of 250 with a match high 44 assists for the evening.

The volleyball team is one of only 11 undefeated Division 1 teams in the United States, and they are also one of just three teams in the United States to have over 10 wins with no losses for the season.

The ‘Canes volleyball team continues play on Wednesday, September 25 as they play host to the Hatters of Stetson University at 7:00 P.M. at the Knight Sports Complex.

You can reach Kevan Melchiorre at Kmm102683@aol.com.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...