Volleyball still undefeated

A free T-shirt and free pizza weren’t the only attraction at the University of Miami women’s volleyball game Friday night.

The unbeatable Hurricane volleyball team (11-0) blew by the competition as they put together a three-game victory over the Owls of Florida Atlantic University (5-10).

Not only did the win better their record to 11 straight victories for this season, but it also increased their win streak dating back to last season as it now stands at a national best 22 matches.

The ‘Canes had no trouble in the first game of the match as they rolled to a 30-21 victory. The next two games, however, didn’t go as planned.

Game 2 saw the Hurricanes edge passed the Owls only by four points. They won by a score of 30-26, but this game brought out a few highlights from freshman middle blocker Karla Johnson, as she showed her skills off with a series of outstanding kills and blocks early in the game.

In the third game of the match, the Owls kept it close the whole time. The ‘Canes were down by one with the score at 26-27, but they roared back with four unanswered points that were capitalized by Elizabeth Tyson’s (Sophomore, outside hitter) game-winning kill. The ‘Canes won 30-27 in a nail-biter, and they improved on their already flawless record.

Senior team leader Marcella Gamarra played exceptional as she registered a team-high 12 kills. She also had a match-high 13 digs on the defensive end.

Valeria Tipiana continued her solid play with a 10-kill effort and .409 attack percentage. Sophomore outside hitter Elizabeth Tyson had a match high .562 kill percentage and 11 kills for the night.

The match also brought out the impressive skills of two freshmen. Middle blocker Karla Johnson had 11 kills with a .450 attack percentage on the night as well as a match high 6 blocks (two solo, four block assists). Setter Margie Young, the team’s leader in assists, added to her season total of 250 with a match high 44 assists for the evening.

The volleyball team is one of only 11 undefeated Division 1 teams in the United States, and they are also one of just three teams in the United States to have over 10 wins with no losses for the season.

The ‘Canes volleyball team continues play on Wednesday, September 25 as they play host to the Hatters of Stetson University at 7:00 P.M. at the Knight Sports Complex.

You can reach Kevan Melchiorre at Kmm102683@aol.com.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...