Volleyball still undefeated

A free T-shirt and free pizza weren’t the only attraction at the University of Miami women’s volleyball game Friday night.

The unbeatable Hurricane volleyball team (11-0) blew by the competition as they put together a three-game victory over the Owls of Florida Atlantic University (5-10).

Not only did the win better their record to 11 straight victories for this season, but it also increased their win streak dating back to last season as it now stands at a national best 22 matches.

The ‘Canes had no trouble in the first game of the match as they rolled to a 30-21 victory. The next two games, however, didn’t go as planned.

Game 2 saw the Hurricanes edge passed the Owls only by four points. They won by a score of 30-26, but this game brought out a few highlights from freshman middle blocker Karla Johnson, as she showed her skills off with a series of outstanding kills and blocks early in the game.

In the third game of the match, the Owls kept it close the whole time. The ‘Canes were down by one with the score at 26-27, but they roared back with four unanswered points that were capitalized by Elizabeth Tyson’s (Sophomore, outside hitter) game-winning kill. The ‘Canes won 30-27 in a nail-biter, and they improved on their already flawless record.

Senior team leader Marcella Gamarra played exceptional as she registered a team-high 12 kills. She also had a match-high 13 digs on the defensive end.

Valeria Tipiana continued her solid play with a 10-kill effort and .409 attack percentage. Sophomore outside hitter Elizabeth Tyson had a match high .562 kill percentage and 11 kills for the night.

The match also brought out the impressive skills of two freshmen. Middle blocker Karla Johnson had 11 kills with a .450 attack percentage on the night as well as a match high 6 blocks (two solo, four block assists). Setter Margie Young, the team’s leader in assists, added to her season total of 250 with a match high 44 assists for the evening.

The volleyball team is one of only 11 undefeated Division 1 teams in the United States, and they are also one of just three teams in the United States to have over 10 wins with no losses for the season.

The ‘Canes volleyball team continues play on Wednesday, September 25 as they play host to the Hatters of Stetson University at 7:00 P.M. at the Knight Sports Complex.

You can reach Kevan Melchiorre at Kmm102683@aol.com.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...