Orange Bowl security personnel needs an overhaul

Am I the only one who was very disappointed at Saturday’s football game? And I am not talking about the lifeless performance by the number one team in the nation. What I found most disappointing was the so-called Orange Bowl Security team, who were even more pathetic than the Hurricanes offense.

It is the same story every game. The aisles are always so full of people, you can never be quite sure if they exist at all. Inevitably, some drunk frat guy (perhaps in an inebriated attempt to impress the girl next to him) successfully redefines the term “moron” by throwing a half-full beer bottle into the unsuspecting crowd. Or, utilizing the most recent weapon of choice, an entire section of fans throw those little Miami Hurricane CD’s, causing everyone to dive for cover as they fly around like malignant Frisbees threatening to put out an eye or slash a gaping wound into someone’s neck.

On top of that, there is more weed going around than at a Dave Matthews Band concert, and there are so many fights, I’m not sure whether to watch them or the game. And to put the icing on the cake, at Saturday’s game there was a guy in the student section with a cow bell. Maybe I’m the one who is crazy, but how can you bring a large, heavy metal object into the game, but you can’t get in with an umbrella? Oh wait, that’s right. Umbrellas can be used as weapons. What was I thinking?

So, where is the security during all of this? I’ll tell you where they are. They are busy being more ineffectual than our offensive line. Saturday marked the third time in my years here at the University of Miami that I have asked a security guard to clear out the aisles, and for the third time they didn’t even so much as answer me. They merely looked at me with an expression that seemed to say, “So what. Is that my job?”

Why are these people not being fired? At the very least they should have to dress up like clowns so that they could entertain us while they do nothing. The fact is that if there is ever a serious emergency (and at a stadium that sells beer, it is only a matter of time), someone is going to end up dead. I don’t care how good the EMS may be at the Orange Bowl, there are so many students in the aisles that not even Willis McGahee could find an opening. And if they’re not going to clear the aisles, they could at least arrest that drunk frat guy.

Travis Atria is a junior majoring in English literature.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...