film review: Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever *

Anyone who has seen an action movie in the last 20 years is going to figure out the plot of Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever in about 15 minutes. Of course the depressed ex-cop will avenge the loss of his family by tracking down their killer. Of course the good guys are going to save the world. Of course the lead actor falls in love at the end.

Ballistic is the least surprising movie of the year. It’s got action, and lots of it. Big explosions, cool guns and a couple of decent fights/chases are all this movie has to offer.

Director Wych Kaosayananda, credited as Kaos, is only in his late 20s, and Ballistic is his first movie made outside of Thailand. He does a good job with the action sequences, but how tired are audiences of watching things getting blown up? Anyone with enough money can go outside and blow up his car (or better yet, his roommate’s) and film it. In the age of special effects-filled action flicks like The Matrix and The One, on-screen effects have sadly lost out to computers.

Ballistic follows in the grand tradition of Good Will Hunting and The Royal Tenenbaums, by giving characters eccentric names to make for an intriguing title. That’s about the only thing in this movie that’s even slightly engaging.

Antonio Banderas has officially moved from Spanish sex symbol to washed-up old guy. His roles in Four Rooms and Desperado have given out to less glorious parts in Spy Kids and Ballistic. In this movie he’s Jeremiah Ecks, a former FBI agent whose family is killed. Predictably, he blames himself and drops out of the agency. Of course, when the world’s at stake, he returns. Does this sound familiar yet?

Lucy Liu of Charlie’s Angels fame plays Agent Sever, an orphan who was adopted and trained by the agency to be the perfect killer. Her fight scenes are far from perfect. Sure she can kick, spin and punch, but she rarely deviates from those basic moves. When Keanu Reeves is more credible as a martial artist than Lucy Liu, something is wrong.

Ballistic focuses the majority of its $70 million budget on visual effects and big action sequences. The script is truly awful, and the acting is nearly as bad, with the exception of a few minor characters. If he had access stronger material for his detonations, Kaos could become a decent action director in the future, but his first attempt at American cinema is undoubtedly a failure.

Shawn Wines can be reached at shawnwines@aol.com.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...