Sugar Cult Interview:

Sugarcult can’t stand when people attach labels to their music. Fortunately for them, their live show makes labeling refreshingly difficult. Unlike their heterogeneous sound, which mixes a speedy confection of punk and pop rock, the members of Sugarcult can be classified as regular rock and roll musicians and unapologetic “wild childs.” Witnessing them stir up an audience on stage or speaking with them after a show unveils a certain amount of truth within their constant emphasis that the music is “for the fans.”

Or as lead guitarist Marko 72 exaggerates, “It’s a band and its fans against the world.”

While it may sound like fresh spin on an age-old quote, Sugarcult earned credibility points last Sunday at Zetafest, exemplifying a fun-minded devotion to their fans. Singer Tim Pagnotta didn’t seize rocking out, even when a bottle thrown from the audience cut the bridge of his nose, streaming blood down his face and into his denim jacket.

The mostly teenage crowd was left sugar struck by a set that blazed through almost every track from their debut album,Start Static, including the singles, “Stuck in America” and “Bouncing off the Walls.”

Marko, Pagnotta and bassist Airin, alongside a replacement drummer (original member Ben Davis missed two dates due to a family wedding), spent nearly two hours signing autographs, taking pictures and getting to know their fans after an hour long, bloody good set.

Sugarcult formed in Santa Barbara, California in 1998, releasing two independent albums before signing with Ultimatum Records in 2001. Soon after recording and leaving school (Marko graduated from UCSB and Airin from UCLA), they hit the road and have been on tour for more than 14 months.

“We are really lucky to do this and we won’t take it for granted,” says Marko (or his robot), “It is a fun job to have.”

The band says that its major influences are Elvis Costello, Cheap Trick and the Clash. Their newest single, “Pretty Girl,” is currently gaining nice amounts of airplay on college radio. However, the band remains humble and feels that any imagined success has been achieved.

“It all depends on your definition,” says Marko. “Our main goal was to write songs and play shows, so we have been successful for years.”

Sugarcult’s near future consists of more life on the road. “We use each other to get to the top,” says Marko, “we rely on our Sharpies and guitars because that’s what has taken us so far.”

For more info: www.sugarcult.com.

Diana Pastrana can be reached at godess_diana@hotmail.com.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...