Sports Briefs

Volleyball
University of Miami volleyball player Margie Young (Santa Monica, Calif./Marymount HS) was selected Monday as the Big East Conference Co-Rookie of the Week. Young tied a Big East record when she put up 73 assists in the Hurricanes’ 3-2 victory over Florida State. The sophomore setter had a total of 159 assists and 15 digs during the course of UM’s three-match romp in the Florida International Fall Volleyball Classic. Miami also defeated cross-city rival Florida International 3-0 and IUPUI 3-0. Young’s performance helped the Hurricanes’ extend their win streak to 21 (10 this season).

Golf
University of Miami junior Camilla Hilland (Lommedalen, Norway) fired a second-round 75 to finish in a tie for fourth-place at the Lady Kat Invitational in Lexington, KY last weekend. Third-round action was cancelled due to inclement weather. Hilland, the 2002 NCAA Independent Player of the Year, finished with a two-round total of 147, three strokes behind tournament champion Violeta Retamoza of Tennessee (70-74-144). As a team the Hurricanes shot 621 over the two rounds to finish sixth. Tennessee won the team title posting a two-round score of 604. Miami junior Jazmin Cataldo (Asuncion. Paraguay) finished in a tie for 17th (78-76-154) while senior Dominique Gagnon (La Romana, Dominican Republic) finished in a tie for 43rd (76-85-161). The Hurricanes return to action October 11-12 at the Beacon Woods Invitational in Bayonet Point, FL.

Swimming and Diving
US Diving selected University of Miami diving coach Randy Ableman for its Phil Boggs Award last week at its annual meeting in Dallas. Ableman, a 1983 graduate of the University of Iowa, has led the Hurricanes’ diving team since 1989. He was a 1980 Olympian and a member of the national team from 1978 to 1984. “I was a little bit shocked, but I felt honored (when I heard that I had received the award,” coach Ableman said. “Phil Boggs was one of my idols growing up. I was just honored that the members of US Diving had voted for me.” Under his tutelage, the Hurricane diving team has sustained a tradition of National Title producers as well as Olympians.

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...