Sports Briefs

Volleyball
University of Miami volleyball player Margie Young (Santa Monica, Calif./Marymount HS) was selected Monday as the Big East Conference Co-Rookie of the Week. Young tied a Big East record when she put up 73 assists in the Hurricanes’ 3-2 victory over Florida State. The sophomore setter had a total of 159 assists and 15 digs during the course of UM’s three-match romp in the Florida International Fall Volleyball Classic. Miami also defeated cross-city rival Florida International 3-0 and IUPUI 3-0. Young’s performance helped the Hurricanes’ extend their win streak to 21 (10 this season).

Golf
University of Miami junior Camilla Hilland (Lommedalen, Norway) fired a second-round 75 to finish in a tie for fourth-place at the Lady Kat Invitational in Lexington, KY last weekend. Third-round action was cancelled due to inclement weather. Hilland, the 2002 NCAA Independent Player of the Year, finished with a two-round total of 147, three strokes behind tournament champion Violeta Retamoza of Tennessee (70-74-144). As a team the Hurricanes shot 621 over the two rounds to finish sixth. Tennessee won the team title posting a two-round score of 604. Miami junior Jazmin Cataldo (Asuncion. Paraguay) finished in a tie for 17th (78-76-154) while senior Dominique Gagnon (La Romana, Dominican Republic) finished in a tie for 43rd (76-85-161). The Hurricanes return to action October 11-12 at the Beacon Woods Invitational in Bayonet Point, FL.

Swimming and Diving
US Diving selected University of Miami diving coach Randy Ableman for its Phil Boggs Award last week at its annual meeting in Dallas. Ableman, a 1983 graduate of the University of Iowa, has led the Hurricanes’ diving team since 1989. He was a 1980 Olympian and a member of the national team from 1978 to 1984. “I was a little bit shocked, but I felt honored (when I heard that I had received the award,” coach Ableman said. “Phil Boggs was one of my idols growing up. I was just honored that the members of US Diving had voted for me.” Under his tutelage, the Hurricane diving team has sustained a tradition of National Title producers as well as Olympians.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...