Sports Briefs

Volleyball
University of Miami volleyball player Margie Young (Santa Monica, Calif./Marymount HS) was selected Monday as the Big East Conference Co-Rookie of the Week. Young tied a Big East record when she put up 73 assists in the Hurricanes’ 3-2 victory over Florida State. The sophomore setter had a total of 159 assists and 15 digs during the course of UM’s three-match romp in the Florida International Fall Volleyball Classic. Miami also defeated cross-city rival Florida International 3-0 and IUPUI 3-0. Young’s performance helped the Hurricanes’ extend their win streak to 21 (10 this season).

Golf
University of Miami junior Camilla Hilland (Lommedalen, Norway) fired a second-round 75 to finish in a tie for fourth-place at the Lady Kat Invitational in Lexington, KY last weekend. Third-round action was cancelled due to inclement weather. Hilland, the 2002 NCAA Independent Player of the Year, finished with a two-round total of 147, three strokes behind tournament champion Violeta Retamoza of Tennessee (70-74-144). As a team the Hurricanes shot 621 over the two rounds to finish sixth. Tennessee won the team title posting a two-round score of 604. Miami junior Jazmin Cataldo (Asuncion. Paraguay) finished in a tie for 17th (78-76-154) while senior Dominique Gagnon (La Romana, Dominican Republic) finished in a tie for 43rd (76-85-161). The Hurricanes return to action October 11-12 at the Beacon Woods Invitational in Bayonet Point, FL.

Swimming and Diving
US Diving selected University of Miami diving coach Randy Ableman for its Phil Boggs Award last week at its annual meeting in Dallas. Ableman, a 1983 graduate of the University of Iowa, has led the Hurricanes’ diving team since 1989. He was a 1980 Olympian and a member of the national team from 1978 to 1984. “I was a little bit shocked, but I felt honored (when I heard that I had received the award,” coach Ableman said. “Phil Boggs was one of my idols growing up. I was just honored that the members of US Diving had voted for me.” Under his tutelage, the Hurricane diving team has sustained a tradition of National Title producers as well as Olympians.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...