Life and Art Calendar

Tonight
Boogie down at the Rat for Happy Hour from 4:30-9 p.m., then shake it up on the dance floor as a DJ spins from 9-12 p.m.

Saturday, September 21
Vero Beach rock group Venusian Skyline kick off their U.S. tour at Piccadilly Garden, 35 NE 40TH St, for the weekly Poplife party. Doors open at 11 p.m. 18 and up are welcome. Call 305-573-8211 for more info.

Sunday, September 22
Mortician, Scar Culture and Malignant play the Culture Room, 3045 N Federal Hwy, Fort Lauderdale. Show starts at 7:30 p.m. Call 954-564-1074.

Instead of spending a lazy Sunday afternoon, explore some new art and listen to vicious MC Battles at OBJEX artspace, 500 NW 24th St #F. Counterpoint Garments and Botanica del Jibaro present “Verbal Assault” with performances by Hashbrown, Algorithm, Serum, Mindshift, Wreckonize and Flow Official, among others. Early comers can register for the battle, so arrive at 6 p.m. sharp when the show starts. For more info, contact 305-576-6551.

Tuesday, September 24
Goonies plays at the Cosford-time TBA

Saturday, September 28
Bhakti Baxter, founder of Miami’s alternative art space, The House, opens his first solo museum exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art, 770 NE 125th St, North Miami. The project will evolve on sight as the artist uses a variety of natural and constructed.

Reminder: Comedic actors and talented musicians or bands needed for Canes Comedy Club. Contact Josh at 954-336-1191.

Sunday, September 29
Third Annual Arango Design Award Ceremony, which recognizes emerging contemporary designers in South Florida, takes place at the Miami Art Museum, 101 W. Flagler St., at 3:30 p.m. Then Design is One lecture at 4 with leading designers, Lella and Massimo Vignelli. If you don’t feel worn out by then, check out the photography on display by Timothy Greenfield-Sanders. Call 305-375-3000.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...