Life and Art Calendar

Tonight
Boogie down at the Rat for Happy Hour from 4:30-9 p.m., then shake it up on the dance floor as a DJ spins from 9-12 p.m.

Saturday, September 21
Vero Beach rock group Venusian Skyline kick off their U.S. tour at Piccadilly Garden, 35 NE 40TH St, for the weekly Poplife party. Doors open at 11 p.m. 18 and up are welcome. Call 305-573-8211 for more info.

Sunday, September 22
Mortician, Scar Culture and Malignant play the Culture Room, 3045 N Federal Hwy, Fort Lauderdale. Show starts at 7:30 p.m. Call 954-564-1074.

Instead of spending a lazy Sunday afternoon, explore some new art and listen to vicious MC Battles at OBJEX artspace, 500 NW 24th St #F. Counterpoint Garments and Botanica del Jibaro present “Verbal Assault” with performances by Hashbrown, Algorithm, Serum, Mindshift, Wreckonize and Flow Official, among others. Early comers can register for the battle, so arrive at 6 p.m. sharp when the show starts. For more info, contact 305-576-6551.

Tuesday, September 24
Goonies plays at the Cosford-time TBA

Saturday, September 28
Bhakti Baxter, founder of Miami’s alternative art space, The House, opens his first solo museum exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art, 770 NE 125th St, North Miami. The project will evolve on sight as the artist uses a variety of natural and constructed.

Reminder: Comedic actors and talented musicians or bands needed for Canes Comedy Club. Contact Josh at 954-336-1191.

Sunday, September 29
Third Annual Arango Design Award Ceremony, which recognizes emerging contemporary designers in South Florida, takes place at the Miami Art Museum, 101 W. Flagler St., at 3:30 p.m. Then Design is One lecture at 4 with leading designers, Lella and Massimo Vignelli. If you don’t feel worn out by then, check out the photography on display by Timothy Greenfield-Sanders. Call 305-375-3000.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...