Hispanic Heritage kicks off with live music, dance, food

With a live band, food, dancing and a crowd of spectators, the opening ceremonies of Hispanic Heritage Month [HHM] took place at the UC patio on Tuesday.

“We hope to encourage an appreciation for Hispanic culture,” said Nanette Vega, assistant director of the Department of Multicultural Student Affairs.

“We hope students will take in the sights, the sounds, the smells, but most importantly, the people. We have people from the Caribbean, Latin America and other places throughout the world here with us today,” Vega said.

Grupo Prisma, the band that performed at the event, was comprised of a Puerto Rican, a Venezuelan, a Colombian, a Dominican and a Cuban. They played salsa, merengue, cumbia and bachata.

El Zol 95.7, a local Latin radio station, held a live broadcast of the event.

Representatives from UM salsa groups Salsa Con Sabor and Salsa Craze were also present to promote the salsa classes offered at the Wellness Center and to give lessons to those interested.

“It was a lot of fun to see all the effort that was put into this event,” said Sheila Blakely, a staff associate of student activities and member of the HHM committee. “It was nice to see the collaboration between students of different backgrounds coming together and feeling great.”

Arroz imperial, picadillo, platanos maduros and salad were served during the event.

“The food is great,” freshman Joel Lopez said. “The dancers are really good; they know what they’re doing.”

“I’m Hispanic and I came to see if they could actually attempt to play some real music and make some real Hispanic food,” junior Sammy Salazar said.

“I don’t ever listen to this type of music. It’s a nice change,” sophomore Tasha Murray said. “They don’t play this type of music in Portland, Oregon.”

“I think it’s a good idea that they’re doing this during lunchtime,” said senior Mayleen Garcia. “It’s a great way to introduce Hispanic culture to the entire student body.”

“I think everyone should take advantage of these events,” Garcia said.

“We hope everyone walks away with a sense of Hispanic culture,” Danaidys Rodriguez, HHM committee chair, said.

“I hope everyone comes to the many events planned,” Dr. Pat Whitely, vice-president for student affairs, said during a welcoming speech to the audience

HHM committee members are still needed to participate in and work with the events planned through Oct. 15.

“I hope more people become a part of the Hispanic Heritage Month committee,” Rodriguez said. “We encourage everybody to join us. We’re a diverse campus with many different points of view.”

For any questions regarding HHM or for information on how to join the committee, contact Nanette Vega at 305-284-2855 or via e-mail at nvega@miami.edu.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...