Summit trains student leaders

The 2002 Leadership Summit, hosted and organized by The Department of Student Activities and Leadership Programs took place on Saturday, September 14 at the UC. Chartwells, the Wellness Center, The Leadership Institute and Multicultural Student Affairs provided sponsorship for the event.

This year’s theme, “A World of Leadership Opportunities,” emphasized the importance of culture and diversity in leadership.

“The cultural aspect is a huge selling point of UM. It allows people to get oriented to diversity,” said Cie Chapel, Graduate Intern for Department of Student Activities and Leadership Programs.

“We’re a diverse campus and we were able to get to know each other and gain leadership skills,” said freshman Rafael Evans, vice president of UM Hip-Hop club and public relations chair for B.O.N.D.

“The summit helped you to familiarize yourself with the opportunities and resources on campus. If you want to play a leadership role in anything you want to participate [in the Leadership Institute] because you get different aspects and topics and see the world from other perspectives,” Evans added.

Students from Freshmen Experience (FEX) classes, sponsored by the Academic Development Center, encouraged students in the class to attend the summit.

During the event, eight session topics were presented and discussed.

A presentation on event planning and programming was lead by Heather Lancin, Assistant Director of Student Activities and Leadership Programs. Webb Morgan, Assistant Director of Orientation and Commuter Affairs, had a discussion on decision-making and ethics.

Other topics covered included money management and processing paperwork at UM.

“I think that developing interpersonal skills helps create a total well person,” said Chris Locke, Wellness Director, who will be presenting workshops this semester.

“New students were able to see the diversity and resources at UM, and returning students were able to polish up their skills,” Chapel said.

“It’s a great networking tool to meet campus leaders,” said senior Joe Fernandez, Treasurer of Omicron Delta Kappa.

The keynote speaker, Doug Cureton of CreativiTEAM, gave an interactive presentation about cross-cultural communication. Cureton covered issues ranging from active listening and first impressions to identity-based humor.

“The day was very informational, it gave me insight on things I already thought I knew. The speaker was awesome; he was able to open the hearts and minds of the ‘Canes,” said Terri-Ann Bennett, freshmen delegate for S.A.F.A.C.

All participants received a bag courtesy of Hurricane Productions, and raffles were held for t-shirts, banners, books and gift certificates to the Wellness Center.

Three students received $50.00 gift certificates to the bookstore and two students received vouchers for their spring semester books.

Aside from the Leadership Summit, the Leadership Institute holds workshops throughout the semester.

“The workshops allow students to develop personally. Even if they aren’t involved on campus the skills can be brought into the job force in the future,” Chapel said.

Upcoming workshops include Goal Setting and Women in Leadership.

Interested students can sign up in UC 209. The afternoon workshops also provide students with free lunch and are open to anybody who is interested.