Stay sober and dance all night long

I recently visited Level in South Beach and had one of the best times of my life. And believe it or not, it did not involve a drop of alcohol or any kind of substance.

It was all about the music. True, that’s a testament to resident trance DJ George Acosta, who happened to be spinning this particular night. But it was also about the people, the atmosphere and the energy pulsating in the club.

People go out dancing to have a good time, but when you’re lucky enough to find a place with music so intense and loud, you start to go crazy and lose all your inhibitions. Sounds familiar, right?

I’ve heard about the phenomenon that music can have on people; how it can stir up this primitive and emotional response in us which people have compared to intoxication. It’s that elusive thing we all know as the “natural high,” and I think I discovered it that night. Nothing else mattered the whole time. I didn’t care who was around me, or about not having enough money to buy drinks, or how much of an ass I was making of myself on the dance floor.

I closed my eyes, threw my hands up, and let the music flow. My whole body ached after awhile, but I didn’t care.

I remember thinking that night that this is what it’s all about. Life should be all about this intensity and complete sensory overload.

Of course, that was then, and I know there are many more important things than that, but I still think everyone should strive to have something like this at least once in his or her life. It doesn’t have to mean dancing all night at Level. It could be anything that makes you feel like you’re so alive and you could never go to sleep.

If you’re someone who loves any kind of music, then you know what I’m talking about. Whether it be hip-hop, trance, Latin, house, rock, retro, or any of the abundant types of music that you can find in South Florida, seek out your favorite. Even though your body will be hurting, your soul will thank you in the morning.

Derek Bramble is a senior majoring in broadcast journalism and theater.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...