Love it or leave it: not in America as it should be

In the aftermath of September 11, Americans expressed their sorrow and loyalty the best way they knew how: by decorating their cars with flags and patriotic bumper stickers. These signs of patriotism were wonderful and showed the great spirit of Americans. However, it seems many are sadly mistaken about the American spirit and have taken patriotism to un-American levels.

There is one bumper sticker in particular that makes me furious. It reads, “Love it or Leave it,” with bold letters in red, white, and blue. This sticker implies that one in America has two choices, a: love America, or b: leave America. Many Americans might see nothing wrong with this sentiment and even agree with it.

Let me tell you why those Americans are wrong. First, I ask you to remember, if you will, a document known as the Constitution. You may have learned about it in school. This wonderful document is in fact founded on the belief that America should be a country where the citizens are free to dislike it if they so choose.

Moreover, another document called the Bill of Rights allows those citizens the freedom to speak out against that country (and here’s the crux) while still living in it. Yes, the founders of this great country did not simply make a mistake in the drafting; they actually meant for American citizens to have that freedom.

And what’s more, they believed that freedom would be precisely what would make this country great. They were tired of living under regimes where the government could not be challenged, so they invented a system where if you didn’t “love it,” you could actively work to change it instead of having to “leave it.”

In fact, the slogan “Love it or Leave it” belongs more to communist China or Nazi Germany than to America. Indeed, it is one of the most un-American things ever to masquerade as pro-American sentiment. So to those who proudly display this bumper sticker, I suggest you take a history course to remind yourself what country you call home.

Travis Atria is a junior majoring in English literature.

RUNOVER HERE

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...