Love it or leave it: not in America as it should be

In the aftermath of September 11, Americans expressed their sorrow and loyalty the best way they knew how: by decorating their cars with flags and patriotic bumper stickers. These signs of patriotism were wonderful and showed the great spirit of Americans. However, it seems many are sadly mistaken about the American spirit and have taken patriotism to un-American levels.

There is one bumper sticker in particular that makes me furious. It reads, “Love it or Leave it,” with bold letters in red, white, and blue. This sticker implies that one in America has two choices, a: love America, or b: leave America. Many Americans might see nothing wrong with this sentiment and even agree with it.

Let me tell you why those Americans are wrong. First, I ask you to remember, if you will, a document known as the Constitution. You may have learned about it in school. This wonderful document is in fact founded on the belief that America should be a country where the citizens are free to dislike it if they so choose.

Moreover, another document called the Bill of Rights allows those citizens the freedom to speak out against that country (and here’s the crux) while still living in it. Yes, the founders of this great country did not simply make a mistake in the drafting; they actually meant for American citizens to have that freedom.

And what’s more, they believed that freedom would be precisely what would make this country great. They were tired of living under regimes where the government could not be challenged, so they invented a system where if you didn’t “love it,” you could actively work to change it instead of having to “leave it.”

In fact, the slogan “Love it or Leave it” belongs more to communist China or Nazi Germany than to America. Indeed, it is one of the most un-American things ever to masquerade as pro-American sentiment. So to those who proudly display this bumper sticker, I suggest you take a history course to remind yourself what country you call home.

Travis Atria is a junior majoring in English literature.

RUNOVER HERE

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...