Islamic Society to host discussion on Islam

The Islamic Society of UM [ISUM] will hold a panel discussion featuring UM students as well as Muslim leaders from the community in order to answer questions and dispel misconceptions about the religion tomorrow.

“A lot of people think most Muslims didn’t mourn September 11. That is totally untrue. We were angry at what happened and had to justify our religion at the same time,” said Minal Ahson, ISUM President.

“We want to show what American Muslims went through,” Ahson added. “People have come up to me with questions about Islam and have been like ‘wow, I didn’t know that’ when they learned the answers.”

“I feel that it’s very important to focus as an organization on educating the public about some of the misconceptions about Islam,” Ramy Gali, ISUM treasurer, said.

ISUM has conducted panels to educate the UM community about the Islamic faith and interfaith discussions where speakers and representatives from different religions share perspectives on many topics.

The panel will feature two local Muslim leaders to represent the Miami community: Dr. Abdul Samra of the Miami Gardens Masjid and Imam Khalid Salahuddin of Masjid Al-Ansar. A Masjid is a Muslim place of worship.

Three American Muslim students at UM, Sahar Ullah, sophomore, Najia Hussain, senior, and Fawwad Siddiqui, a recent UM graduate, will be representing student perspectives on the issues discussed.

Each panel member will be given three minutes to discuss a topic relating to Islam or their experience as an American Muslim. Following that, the floor will be open for a question and answer session.

“Students should attend if they are curious about the true religion of Islam. It’s an opportunity to learn a little bit about the world’s fastest growing religion,” Ahson said. “We are proud to be American Muslims. People who go will see that.”

“We welcome students of all ethnic and religious backgrounds to join ISUM or sit in during the meetings and events we host,” Gali said.

The panel discussion will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the International Lounge on the second floor of the UC.

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...