Islamic Society to host discussion on Islam

The Islamic Society of UM [ISUM] will hold a panel discussion featuring UM students as well as Muslim leaders from the community in order to answer questions and dispel misconceptions about the religion tomorrow.

“A lot of people think most Muslims didn’t mourn September 11. That is totally untrue. We were angry at what happened and had to justify our religion at the same time,” said Minal Ahson, ISUM President.

“We want to show what American Muslims went through,” Ahson added. “People have come up to me with questions about Islam and have been like ‘wow, I didn’t know that’ when they learned the answers.”

“I feel that it’s very important to focus as an organization on educating the public about some of the misconceptions about Islam,” Ramy Gali, ISUM treasurer, said.

ISUM has conducted panels to educate the UM community about the Islamic faith and interfaith discussions where speakers and representatives from different religions share perspectives on many topics.

The panel will feature two local Muslim leaders to represent the Miami community: Dr. Abdul Samra of the Miami Gardens Masjid and Imam Khalid Salahuddin of Masjid Al-Ansar. A Masjid is a Muslim place of worship.

Three American Muslim students at UM, Sahar Ullah, sophomore, Najia Hussain, senior, and Fawwad Siddiqui, a recent UM graduate, will be representing student perspectives on the issues discussed.

Each panel member will be given three minutes to discuss a topic relating to Islam or their experience as an American Muslim. Following that, the floor will be open for a question and answer session.

“Students should attend if they are curious about the true religion of Islam. It’s an opportunity to learn a little bit about the world’s fastest growing religion,” Ahson said. “We are proud to be American Muslims. People who go will see that.”

“We welcome students of all ethnic and religious backgrounds to join ISUM or sit in during the meetings and events we host,” Gali said.

The panel discussion will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the International Lounge on the second floor of the UC.

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...