Islamic Society to host discussion on Islam

The Islamic Society of UM [ISUM] will hold a panel discussion featuring UM students as well as Muslim leaders from the community in order to answer questions and dispel misconceptions about the religion tomorrow.

“A lot of people think most Muslims didn’t mourn September 11. That is totally untrue. We were angry at what happened and had to justify our religion at the same time,” said Minal Ahson, ISUM President.

“We want to show what American Muslims went through,” Ahson added. “People have come up to me with questions about Islam and have been like ‘wow, I didn’t know that’ when they learned the answers.”

“I feel that it’s very important to focus as an organization on educating the public about some of the misconceptions about Islam,” Ramy Gali, ISUM treasurer, said.

ISUM has conducted panels to educate the UM community about the Islamic faith and interfaith discussions where speakers and representatives from different religions share perspectives on many topics.

The panel will feature two local Muslim leaders to represent the Miami community: Dr. Abdul Samra of the Miami Gardens Masjid and Imam Khalid Salahuddin of Masjid Al-Ansar. A Masjid is a Muslim place of worship.

Three American Muslim students at UM, Sahar Ullah, sophomore, Najia Hussain, senior, and Fawwad Siddiqui, a recent UM graduate, will be representing student perspectives on the issues discussed.

Each panel member will be given three minutes to discuss a topic relating to Islam or their experience as an American Muslim. Following that, the floor will be open for a question and answer session.

“Students should attend if they are curious about the true religion of Islam. It’s an opportunity to learn a little bit about the world’s fastest growing religion,” Ahson said. “We are proud to be American Muslims. People who go will see that.”

“We welcome students of all ethnic and religious backgrounds to join ISUM or sit in during the meetings and events we host,” Gali said.

The panel discussion will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the International Lounge on the second floor of the UC.

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...