Hurricane soccer defeats Hokies

Coming into Sunday’s game against Virginia Tech, Britney Butcher, the Big East Player of the Week, in the first week of the season, said that, “the team felt a sense of urgency,” after coming off of three straight losses.

“We were also motivated by the fact that it was our first conference game of the season,” added Butcher. The team responded to that urgency as they came together to beat winless Virginia Tech 2-1. UM improved to 4-3.

The Miami Hurricanes Women’s soccer team came into the 2002 season with a bang, winning their first three games under first year coach Tricia Taliaferro. Unfortunately, after opening the season strong, the ‘Canes sort of fizzled out. They outscored their first three opponents by a margin of 13-1, but in their next three games, Miami got outscored 8-3.

This weekend’s Miami Invitational tournament provided a great opportunity for the team to grab a couple of wins at home, however; they dropped their first game 5-2 to the undefeated UNC-Charlotte 49ers.

“The team was not pleased with their effort in Friday’ game, and they knew they had to make some improvements against Virginia Tech,” Taliaferro said.

The team made those improvements and kept Virginia Tech from getting their first win of the season.

As a generally uneventful first half wound down, the ‘Canes failed to take advantage of several scoring opportunities. When it looked like the teams would go into half time with the score tied at 0-0, Lisa Gomez came down the left side of the field with a defender close on her back. The Virginia Tech defender tripped Gomez in the penalty box, and sent her diving on the grass.

Miami’s senior defensive leader made the most of her penalty kick, tallying her first goal of the season and putting Miami up 1-0.

As the second half opened, the teams battled back and forth for control of the game. Virginia Tech got the spark they needed to shift the momentum in their direction as Jessica Myers scored a breakaway goal to tie the game.

Six minutes later, it looked like Tech would strike again as a wide-open player headed toward an empty Miami net, but Gomez came out of nowhere to block the shot and save the game.

After taking seven shots on goal in the first half, Miami managed only one in the second half. Luckily that one shot won the game for them.

With just 15 minutes remaining, Miami’s two leading goal scorers, Butcher and freshman prodigy Lindsey Yach connected on a beautiful give-and-go as Butcher cut for the goal and drilled Yach’s pass into the net to give the ‘Canes a 2-1 lead and the win. The goal gave Butcher her team leading seventh of the season, and her first since she scored consecutive hat tricks in the first two games of the season. Yach recorded her first ever assist as a Miami Hurricane.

Senior goalie Rachel Elsby also had a solid game in goal making four saves.

The Hurricanes continue their Big East schedule this Friday at 7 PM when they host the Eagles of Boston College.

You can reach Nate Johnson at NPJ44@aol.com.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...