Fraternity recruits doubled

It was altogether a record-breaking recruitment.

Over 300 men attended the Greek Forum held on August 29 and the number of participants involved in rush more than doubled from last year,” said Mike Johnston, vice president of fraternity enrollment and student government president.

“One thing to keep in mind is that the majority of our new incoming freshmen are very involved and ambitious students, partly because of the high entrance standards that have been placed on them,” Johnston said.

The Greek Life Barbecue, held during Orientation Week, was the most fun event, Johnston said.

“It was such a relaxed atmosphere. The kids could see the fraternities in their own air,” Johnston said. “And, it was the only event combined with the sororities.”

Last Sunday-Bid Day-the recruits were given envelopes indicating which fraternities had accepted them. The new pledges then proceeded to sign the applicable paperwork and declare which fraternities they decided to join.

Later, at the Rock, each pledge declared individually their chosen fraternity of the 10 involved-Alpha Epsilon Pi, Alpha Sigma Pi, Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Delta Theta, Kappa Sigma, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Alpha Mu, Sigma Chi, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Zeta Beta Tau.

“I see becoming part of a fraternity as a great way to get into different activities, make friends, and really help out our community,” said Chris Duffy, a freshman and Pi Kappa Alpha pledge.

“I really took rush as an opportunity to figure out which type of guys I wanted to associate myself with,” said John Victor, freshman and Sigma Chi pledge. “I’m really glad I got a chance to be able to get the right vibe from the right group of guys.”

Sigma Alpha Epsilon [SAE], an interest group that is in the process of meeting the necessary requirements to become a Florida Alpha Colony, was the only organization involved that was not a fraternity.

“Basically, in a few weeks, we’re going to be a chapter without a charter,” said Gabriel Santamarina, SAE group member. “Becoming a colony is one small accomplishment that will put us one step closer to our ultimate goal of becoming a fraternity.”

“We are really excited to be on our way towards becoming a Greek organization on campus,” said Roberto Castro, SAE Rush Chair. “We’re looking forward to working closely with all of the Greek organizations on campus and hope to be a valuable asset to the university and to the surrounding community.”

On Sunday the American Greek Letter Organization [AGLO] will host a mandatory new member symposium to educate the pledges on what it takes to be Greek.

“How do you want to experience college? If you go Greek it’s the only organization that you’ll be in for the rest of your life,” Johnston said.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...