Fraternity recruits doubled

It was altogether a record-breaking recruitment.

Over 300 men attended the Greek Forum held on August 29 and the number of participants involved in rush more than doubled from last year,” said Mike Johnston, vice president of fraternity enrollment and student government president.

“One thing to keep in mind is that the majority of our new incoming freshmen are very involved and ambitious students, partly because of the high entrance standards that have been placed on them,” Johnston said.

The Greek Life Barbecue, held during Orientation Week, was the most fun event, Johnston said.

“It was such a relaxed atmosphere. The kids could see the fraternities in their own air,” Johnston said. “And, it was the only event combined with the sororities.”

Last Sunday-Bid Day-the recruits were given envelopes indicating which fraternities had accepted them. The new pledges then proceeded to sign the applicable paperwork and declare which fraternities they decided to join.

Later, at the Rock, each pledge declared individually their chosen fraternity of the 10 involved-Alpha Epsilon Pi, Alpha Sigma Pi, Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Delta Theta, Kappa Sigma, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Alpha Mu, Sigma Chi, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Zeta Beta Tau.

“I see becoming part of a fraternity as a great way to get into different activities, make friends, and really help out our community,” said Chris Duffy, a freshman and Pi Kappa Alpha pledge.

“I really took rush as an opportunity to figure out which type of guys I wanted to associate myself with,” said John Victor, freshman and Sigma Chi pledge. “I’m really glad I got a chance to be able to get the right vibe from the right group of guys.”

Sigma Alpha Epsilon [SAE], an interest group that is in the process of meeting the necessary requirements to become a Florida Alpha Colony, was the only organization involved that was not a fraternity.

“Basically, in a few weeks, we’re going to be a chapter without a charter,” said Gabriel Santamarina, SAE group member. “Becoming a colony is one small accomplishment that will put us one step closer to our ultimate goal of becoming a fraternity.”

“We are really excited to be on our way towards becoming a Greek organization on campus,” said Roberto Castro, SAE Rush Chair. “We’re looking forward to working closely with all of the Greek organizations on campus and hope to be a valuable asset to the university and to the surrounding community.”

On Sunday the American Greek Letter Organization [AGLO] will host a mandatory new member symposium to educate the pledges on what it takes to be Greek.

“How do you want to experience college? If you go Greek it’s the only organization that you’ll be in for the rest of your life,” Johnston said.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...