Fraternity recruits doubled

It was altogether a record-breaking recruitment.

Over 300 men attended the Greek Forum held on August 29 and the number of participants involved in rush more than doubled from last year,” said Mike Johnston, vice president of fraternity enrollment and student government president.

“One thing to keep in mind is that the majority of our new incoming freshmen are very involved and ambitious students, partly because of the high entrance standards that have been placed on them,” Johnston said.

The Greek Life Barbecue, held during Orientation Week, was the most fun event, Johnston said.

“It was such a relaxed atmosphere. The kids could see the fraternities in their own air,” Johnston said. “And, it was the only event combined with the sororities.”

Last Sunday-Bid Day-the recruits were given envelopes indicating which fraternities had accepted them. The new pledges then proceeded to sign the applicable paperwork and declare which fraternities they decided to join.

Later, at the Rock, each pledge declared individually their chosen fraternity of the 10 involved-Alpha Epsilon Pi, Alpha Sigma Pi, Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Delta Theta, Kappa Sigma, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Alpha Mu, Sigma Chi, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Zeta Beta Tau.

“I see becoming part of a fraternity as a great way to get into different activities, make friends, and really help out our community,” said Chris Duffy, a freshman and Pi Kappa Alpha pledge.

“I really took rush as an opportunity to figure out which type of guys I wanted to associate myself with,” said John Victor, freshman and Sigma Chi pledge. “I’m really glad I got a chance to be able to get the right vibe from the right group of guys.”

Sigma Alpha Epsilon [SAE], an interest group that is in the process of meeting the necessary requirements to become a Florida Alpha Colony, was the only organization involved that was not a fraternity.

“Basically, in a few weeks, we’re going to be a chapter without a charter,” said Gabriel Santamarina, SAE group member. “Becoming a colony is one small accomplishment that will put us one step closer to our ultimate goal of becoming a fraternity.”

“We are really excited to be on our way towards becoming a Greek organization on campus,” said Roberto Castro, SAE Rush Chair. “We’re looking forward to working closely with all of the Greek organizations on campus and hope to be a valuable asset to the university and to the surrounding community.”

On Sunday the American Greek Letter Organization [AGLO] will host a mandatory new member symposium to educate the pledges on what it takes to be Greek.

“How do you want to experience college? If you go Greek it’s the only organization that you’ll be in for the rest of your life,” Johnston said.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...