Elsby a true student athlete

There is plenty of information that most Hurricane soccer fans are not aware of regarding four-year starting goaltender Rachel Elsby. One important fact that everyone should know is that she is one of the hardest working players in the Big East and is a role model for student-athletes at any university.

Not only has she been an integral part of the team for the past five years, Elsby also has been dedicated enough to her schoolwork to have graduated last May in order to begin pursuing a PhD in microbiology.

“It is pretty hard to keep up with school these days,” Elsby said. “I am having fourteen hour days and I have to eat lunch on the Metro rail.”

Elsby’s rigorous schedule consists of going to classes, practicing every day and working in the lab. The heavy workload will pay dividends once she earns her degree.

As far as soccer goes, Elsby has had a long history of success on the field. Born in Scottsdale, Arizona but raised in Boca, she has been playing the game since she was five years old. At Spanish River High School she led her team to two state championships and three district titles, and became her school’s all-time saves leader.

Elsby’s career at UM has been just as accomplished. She has been starting for the ‘Canes since her freshman year. The only bump in the road for her occurred during her junior year, in 2000, when she was medically red shirted, sidelining her for the entire season.

“That was the hardest thing ever,” Elsby said. “I felt somewhat separated from the rest of the team that season.”

Last season, Elsby returned as the starting goaltender and led the squad to a 10-7-1 record and an NCAA tournament berth. One of the highlights of her career took place last year when the team beat longtime rival Florida in Gainesville.

“That was definitely one of my favorite moments, besides simply being the starter for so many years at UM,” Elsby said.

As for this season, the team is currently 4-3 after defeating Big East Foe Virginia Tech 2-1 on Sunday. Elsby is confident that the team will improve.

“If we avoid making mental mistakes and play a full 90 minutes of soccer we can be a contender in the Big East,” Elsby said. “We still have a chance to be very good.”

No matter what happens the rest of the way for the Hurricanes soccer team, one thing can be guaranteed – Rachel Elsby will continue to be one of the most dedicated student-athletes in the NCAA and will go on to have a successful future after she earns her PhD.

Eric Kalis can be reached at elk777bc@hotmail.com

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...