campus Calendar and News Briefs

‘Cane Cards will no longer be issued at the Registrar’s Office. Students must go to 110 Allen Hall at the School of Continuing Studies to obtain ‘Cane Cards. Hours of Operation will be Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.

SEPTEMBER 15 –
OCTOBER 15

The Hispanic Heritage Month Committee and the Department of Multicultural Student Affairs is pleased to bring you National Hispanic Heritage Month. As part of the celebration, we have planned a month long calendar that promises to have something for everyone. Join the University of Miami community in recognizing and exploring Hispanic culture and achievements. Opening Ceremonies are on Monday, September 16 at noon, on the University Center Patio. All events are free to the University of Miami community. Hope to see you there! For more information visit www.miami.edu/msa

SEPTEMBER 19 –
SEPTEMBER 23

Zab Sang Institute welcomes you to participate in a rare opportunity to benefit from the heart of wisdom. The senior teacher of the 17th Karmapa, a Tibetan Buddhist Senior Abbot, will be in Miami to discuss topics such as Bondage and Liberation, the Tathagata, and Nirvana. Visit www.zabsang.org or call Laurie at 786-268-1548 for more information.

The Hispanic Scholarship Fund, a national scholarship-granting organization, will be launching the UM Scholar Chapter at the Lowe Art Museum from 4 to 6 p.m. The purpose of this event is to recognize outstanding Latino scholars and to encourage all Hispanic students at the University of Miami to participate in Scholar Chapter activities.

Witness the SAFE Paramedics Drinking and Driving Reenactment at 9 p.m. in UC Ballroom A.

SEPTEMBER 20

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority car wash at Eaton Circle from 12 to 5 p.m. $5 for cars and $7 for trucks. Buy tickets in advance from any AKA member.

SEPTEMBER 23

PSI CHI, the National Honor Society for Psychology, will hold general meetings every other Monday in UC 245 at 6 p.m.

OCTOBER 6

The Society of Bar and Gavel will host its 3rd annual RACE Judicata, a 5K run/walk around the UM campus to raise money for the CHARLEE Family Cares Homes Program. This program provides alternative housing to emotionally challenged children in the Miami-Dade community. For more information, visit the Dean of Students office at the Law School, room 212, or send email to barandgavel@law.miami.edu. Come out and run or walk for a great cause!

The Florida Commission on the Status of Women awarded Dr. Patricia Whitely, Vice President for Student Affairs, with a certificate of achievement for her contributions to the improvement of life for the citizens of Florida. The FCSW is a group dedicated to empowering women in achieving their fullest potential and recognizing women’s accomplishments. Whitely frequently speaks to high school students about self-esteem and goal setting and this past January served as Executive Director of the Alice Manicur Symposium for Women, a national conference designed to give female administrators an opportunity to network and gain support from their peers.

Elections for Student Government are just around the corner. Campaign to become a Senator and help improve life at UM for all undergraduate students. Elections are September 23-25; mark your calendars and VOTE! To find out more, visit www.miami.edu/student-activities and click on Elections Commission.

Students who DO NOT wish to be listed in the new University of Miami’s Telephone and E-Mail Directories must notify the Registrar, in writing, on or before Friday, Sept. 27. Bring your letter to the Office of the Registrar, 121 Whitten University Center. Include in your letter, your full name, student number, information to be deleted from the directory (phone and/or address, e-mail or complete deletion including name), and be sure to sign it!

Tickets are now on sale for this year’s Festival Miami presented by the School of Music. The 19th season which begins on Saturday, September 21 will feature 28 performances, all packed into five spectacular weeks. The Festival continues virtually non-stop through Saturday, October 26. Call 305-284-4940 to purchase tickets or for additional information.

Quick, the deadlines are coming. If you are interested in the Rhodes, Marshall, Fulbright, and Gates awards, you can find explicit details about each on our website: www.miami.edu/honorsprogram. You may also come to our office, Bldg. 21-Y, in the Student Services Complex, and pick up a sheet of information on each award.

The Toppel Career Center presents Toppel 101 (formerly Senior Orientation) from September 4 to November 25! This is your opportunity to get acquainted with the career resources you need, whether your plans include employment or graduate study.

Nomination forms are now out for Omicron Delta Kappa, the national leadership honor society. Forms are due October 1 by 5 p.m. in the Dean of Students office, 21-E. Call 305-970-2192 for more information.