VP for Student Affairs awarded “Woman of the Year” by PKA

The 35 brothers of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity have a tight bond with their woman of the year. They could be helping her around the house one day and the next they will spend watching football on her couch. She plays a special role to this group.

“She is the mother figure that our fraternity needs,” said PKA President Marc Shuster.

On the eve of September 11, PKA held the Athletic Scholarship Award Ceremony. There, they presented their first ever “Woman of the Year Award” to the Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Patricia Whitely.

The VP for Student Affairs handles most everything that happens outside of a classroom. Whether the issue is housing, Greek life, multicultural student affairs, the University Center or discipline, there is a good chance that she has an association with nearly every student on campus. And it doesn’t stop there.

Whitely also speaks to high school seniors on esteem and goal-setting issues as well as other female administrators who wish to become involved with student affairs on their campus.

“I was very, very surprised tonight,” Whitely said. “To be honored by a fraternity is a really neat thing.”

Nominated by the University of Miami’s Women’s Commission, Patricia Whitely is also slated to receive a certificate of achievement. This award, given by the Florida Commission on the Status of Women, will be given because of her work in creating the Sexual Assault Response Team as well as the Women’s Resource Center at UM.

Other notable mentions for the evening: George Lewis received the Gino Torretta Athletic Scholarship Award for his outstanding work as a student as well as an athlete. This scholarship is given to PKA freshmen who best reflect the 1992 Heisman trophy winner.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...