VP for Student Affairs awarded “Woman of the Year” by PKA

The 35 brothers of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity have a tight bond with their woman of the year. They could be helping her around the house one day and the next they will spend watching football on her couch. She plays a special role to this group.

“She is the mother figure that our fraternity needs,” said PKA President Marc Shuster.

On the eve of September 11, PKA held the Athletic Scholarship Award Ceremony. There, they presented their first ever “Woman of the Year Award” to the Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Patricia Whitely.

The VP for Student Affairs handles most everything that happens outside of a classroom. Whether the issue is housing, Greek life, multicultural student affairs, the University Center or discipline, there is a good chance that she has an association with nearly every student on campus. And it doesn’t stop there.

Whitely also speaks to high school seniors on esteem and goal-setting issues as well as other female administrators who wish to become involved with student affairs on their campus.

“I was very, very surprised tonight,” Whitely said. “To be honored by a fraternity is a really neat thing.”

Nominated by the University of Miami’s Women’s Commission, Patricia Whitely is also slated to receive a certificate of achievement. This award, given by the Florida Commission on the Status of Women, will be given because of her work in creating the Sexual Assault Response Team as well as the Women’s Resource Center at UM.

Other notable mentions for the evening: George Lewis received the Gino Torretta Athletic Scholarship Award for his outstanding work as a student as well as an athlete. This scholarship is given to PKA freshmen who best reflect the 1992 Heisman trophy winner.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...