The Autograph Man

Check out the follow-up novel to Zadie Smith’s successful debut, the 2000 bestseller, White Teeth. The Autograph Man’s protagonist, Alex-Li Tandem, is a dealer in fame, particularly in the signatures of anyone who ever did anything of note. He’s half-Chinese, half-Jewish and his best friend, Adam, is a black Jew, born in the U.S. but moved to the ordinary London suburb of Mountjoy, where most of the novel takes place. Alex is a yearner and is infatuated with actress Kitty Alexander, whose autograph is especially valuable because she gave it out so rarely. In between smoking marijuana in the evenings and maintaining a relationship with his girlfriend, Adam’s sister, Esther, he will go to New York and seek out Kitty, possibly then drowning in the murky pool of fame himself.
-OS

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...