The Autograph Man

Check out the follow-up novel to Zadie Smith’s successful debut, the 2000 bestseller, White Teeth. The Autograph Man’s protagonist, Alex-Li Tandem, is a dealer in fame, particularly in the signatures of anyone who ever did anything of note. He’s half-Chinese, half-Jewish and his best friend, Adam, is a black Jew, born in the U.S. but moved to the ordinary London suburb of Mountjoy, where most of the novel takes place. Alex is a yearner and is infatuated with actress Kitty Alexander, whose autograph is especially valuable because she gave it out so rarely. In between smoking marijuana in the evenings and maintaining a relationship with his girlfriend, Adam’s sister, Esther, he will go to New York and seek out Kitty, possibly then drowning in the murky pool of fame himself.
-OS

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...