Culture

The Autograph Man

Check out the follow-up novel to Zadie Smith’s successful debut, the 2000 bestseller, White Teeth. The Autograph Man’s protagonist, Alex-Li Tandem, is a dealer in fame, particularly in the signatures of anyone who ever did anything of note. He’s half-Chinese, half-Jewish and his best friend, Adam, is a black Jew, born in the U.S. but moved to the ordinary London suburb of Mountjoy, where most of the novel takes place. Alex is a yearner and is infatuated with actress Kitty Alexander, whose autograph is especially valuable because she gave it out so rarely. In between smoking marijuana in the evenings and maintaining a relationship with his girlfriend, Adam’s sister, Esther, he will go to New York and seek out Kitty, possibly then drowning in the murky pool of fame himself.
-OS

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas