Sports Briefs

Intramural Reminders
Pre-Season Flag Football Tournament
Deadline is Friday, September 13 @ 5pm.
Tournament is Sunday, Sept. 15 @ 10am.
More info: Jason Carroll 305-284-8518.

Hoop Fest
Free food and drinks, free prizes and giveaways, and $1,000 to the winners is sure to make the University of Miami/Best of Campus Homecoming Hoopfest an event not to miss. The first 30 teams to sign up will get a free event t-shirt along with great freebies and giveaways. The 3 point shootout is sure to be a great time for those who just want to test their skills. They can win a free Kaplan Test Prep course, gift certificates and clothes from Nike Town, dinner at Outback Steakhouse and so much more. The Marines will be setting up a obstacle course for participants and spectators looking to have fun and test themselves on this fun and exciting attraction. They will also have the famous pull up challenge where you can test your strength and see how you compare to the big dogs. Don’t forget to register for the event at the UM Wellness Center intramural office upstairs, or online at www.bestofcampus.com or by calling 1-800-639-7214. See you there!

Women’s Tennis
Miami sophomore Megan Bradley (Columbia, Mo.) is ranked the No. 2 women’s tennis player in the nation according to the preseason singles rankings announced Monday by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association. Bradley, a transfer from UCLA, was an All-American in both singles and doubles and was named the ITA’s National Rookie of the Year last season. She ended the 2002 season as the Bruins’ highest ranked singles player at No. 5 in the nation. Formally a Ransom Everglades standout, she ended her freshman campaign with an overall record of 30-9 at No. 1 singles for the fourth ranked Bruins. She will team up with newcomer Melissa Applebaum (Coral Gables, Fla.) in doubles for the 2002-03 season.

Men’s Tennis
Miami men’s tennis All-American Todd Widom (Coral Springs, Fla.) is ranked No. 13 in the nation according to the preseason singles rankings announced Monday by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association. Widom led Miami at No. 1 singles last season with an overall record of 28-7. He was named Most Outstanding Performer of the Big East Tournament. Widom fell to Southern California’s Nick Rainey in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tennis Championship last season. Miami opens the fall season at the Florida Invitational Sept. 27-29.

Men’s Basketball
The University of Miami men’s basketball team will play a total of 12 games against teams that reached postseason play last season, including nine games against teams that reached the 2002 NCAA Tournament. The Hurricanes’ 15 game home schedule will include nine games at the new University of Miami Convocation Center, Miami’s new $48 million on campus arena.

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...