SG senate elections drawing near

Campaigning for student government elections will begin September 17 and voting will take place September 23-25 in the U.C. Breezeway with run-offs taking place September 30- October 2.

“We’re really expecting a good turnout this year,” said Irene Ricano, senior and Elections Week Manager for the Elections Commission. “We’re putting up banners and trying to encourage as many students as possible to go out and vote; we’re very optimistic.”

Candidates will be running for senator positions that will represent the residential colleges, commuter areas, fraternity row and other factions of students on campus. Each student will be represented at least 3 times according to where they live, their year in school and their academic major.

“I think I’m voting this year just so that I can actually complain when I don’t like something on campus,” said Jeffe Benea, junior. “Last year I didn’t vote so I really didn’t have any room to talk.”

However, not all students seem enthusiastic about the elections.

“I didn’t vote last year and I’m not going to vote this year,” said a second year freshman who requested to remain anonymous. “I think this is all just one big popularity contest.”

Despite the lack of involvement by some students, the Elections Commission encourages everyone to vote during election week.

“The senate elections are just as important as the presidential elections. The senators represent the students and their interests,” said Melissa Matos, Chair of the Elections Commission. “It’s important that we all come out and vote to show our support for the candidates.”

“We really need volunteers for the Elections Commission so that we can get the word out about the candidates and the elections,” said Ricano. “We need as many people as possible to join the committee so we can set up more polling sites and computers for voting at alternate locations on campus.”

According to the Elections Commission, all candidates must attend an informational meeting on September 16.

Applications for Senator positions are available until September 13 at 5 p.m. for all positions. All students are allowed to run for a Senate seat.

Applications may be downloaded from www.miami.edu/student-activities and must be turned in to Renee Dickens Callan in the Student Activities Office located in the University Center, Rm. 209.

Hosmay Lopez, a meteorologist at the University of Miami Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmosp ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...