News Briefs and Campus Calendar

Students who DO NOT wish to be listed in the new University of Miami’s Telephone and E-Mail Directories must notify the Registrar, in writing, on or before Friday, September 27. Bring your letter to the Office of the Registrar, 121 Whitten University Center. Include in your letter, your full name, student number, information to be deleted from the directory (phone and/or address, e-mail or complete deletion including name) and be sure to sign it!

Elections for Student Government are just around the corner. Campaign to become a Senator and help improve life at UM for all undergraduate students. Elections are September 23-September 25; mark your calendars and VOTE! To find out more about Student Government, available offices, and the election process, visit www.miami.edu/student-activities and click on Elections Commission.

The Hispanic Scholarship Fund, a national scholarship-granting organization, will be launching the UM Scholar Chapter on September 19 at the Lowe Art Museum from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. The purpose of this event is to recognize outstanding Latino scholars and to encourage all Hispanic students at the University of Miami to participate in Scholar Chapter activities. The Scholar Chapter will guide students to their chosen degree, develop pre-professional skills and serve as mentors and peer resources to younger students. The first meeting will be held on September 16 at 8:30 p.m. in UC 237. All students are welcome to attend.

Tickets are now on sale for this year’s Festival Miami presented by the School of Music. The nineteenth season, which begins on Saturday, September 21, will feature 28 performances, all packed into five spectacular weeks. This year’s concert series will delight South Florida’s cultural community with an extensive selection of concerts ranging from classical music to jazz to Broadway and even ballet. The festival continues virtually non-stop through Saturday, October 26. Call 305-284-4940 to purchase tickets or for additional information.

The University of Miami is pleased to once again host the annual American Heart Association (AHA) 5K Walk on the Coral Gables campus, Saturday, September 14. Last year, more than 7,000 participants walked around campus to raise funds for fighting heart disease and stroke. It’s not too late to join Team UM, lead by Honorary Chairperson of the event, UM President Donna E. Shalala. To join Team UM, call Janet Tiberian at 305-284-6524.

Quick, the deadlines are coming. If you are interested in the Rhodes, Marshall, Fulbright, and Gates, awards, you can find explicit details about each award on our website: www.miami.edu/honorsprogram. You may also come to our office, Bldg. 21-Y, in the Student Services Complex and pick up a sheet of information on each award. Remember; you do not have to be a member of the Honors Program to apply for these awards. All you generally need is a grade point average of 3.700 or higher and a record of involvement in extracurricular events and activities (either on campus or in the community).

Ever wonder what it’s like to be in a drinking and driving accident? 1100 College Students die every year in Alcohol-Related Traffic Deaths. Witness the SAFE Paramedics Drinking and Driving Reenactment, Thursday, September 19 at 9:00 p.m., UC Ballroom A. It will help you think twice before risking your life.

Hoops for Hunger: A 3-on-3-basketball tournament at the Wellness Center, for $1,000 cash as well as other prizes. Contact Jason Carroll at 305-284-8501.

The Toppel Career Center presents Toppel 101 (formerly Senior Orientation) from September 4 to November 25! This is your opportunity to get acquainted with the career resources you need, whether your plans include employment or graduate study.

‘Cane Cards will no longer be issued at the Registrar’s Office. Students must go to 110 Allen Hall at the School of Continuing Studies to obtain ‘Cane Cards. Hours of Operation will be Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.

PSI CHI (National Honor Society for Psychology) will hold its general meeting every other Monday in UC 245 at 6 p.m. starting September 23.

SEPTEMBER 13

Attend the Miami Law Fair on Friday, 1 to 6 p.m. at the Hyatt Regency, downtown Miami. 100 ABA Law Schools will distribute information and answer questions to Miami pre-law students. All are welcome to attend this free opportunity. Click on www.law.miami.edu/mlf to register for this event.

Volunteer Awareness Week: Feel Good Friday, 2 p.m. – 6 p.m. at the Rock. An afternoon volunteer opportunity for students sponsored by LINK. Call 284-GIVE to find out more.

SEPTEMBER 14

UM’s Gifford Arboretum and the University of Florida/Miami-Dade Extension Service are co-sponsoring Workshops in Horticulture. The workshop will focus on new varieties and diseases of tropical flowering trees. Call 305-284-5364.

SEPTEMBER 15 – OCTOBER 15

The Hispanic Heritage Month Committee and the Department of Multicultural Student Affairs is pleased to bring you National Hispanic Heritage Month. As part of the celebration, we have planned a month long calendar that promises to have something for everyone. Join the University of Miami community in recognizing and exploring Hispanic culture and achievements. Opening Ceremonies are on Monday, September 16th at noon, on the University Center Patio. All events are free to the University of Miami community. Hope to see you there! For more information visit www.miami.edu/msa.

OCTOBER 6

The Society of Bar and Gavel will host its 3rd annual RACE Judicata on October 6. This 5k run/walk around the perimeter of UM will raise money for The CHARLEE Family Cares Homes Program. This program provides alternative housing to emotionally challenged children in the Miami-Dade community. Sponsorship and registration forms can be found at the Dean of Students office on the Law School, room #212 or online at barandgavel@law.miami.edu. So, come out and run or walk for a great cause!!! Everyone is welcome.