ISA banners honor 9/11 heroes & victims

Since September 5, The Indian Students Association (ISA) has been gathering signatures for a banner in memory of the victims and heroes of 9/11.

ISA President Roshan Shah was inspired to do the banner following a visit to New York last spring.

“I was able to sign an American Flag at Ground Zero but I realize that not everybody can go to New York,” Shah said.

“People have asked us why we are doing this when the banner signing may seem to fit into other organizations better,” Shah said. “The ISA has been known to promote Indian culture, dance and food, yet this year we want to focus on the Indian spirit; this embodies compassion.”

“I think this is a good project that will help many people cope with everything that has happened,” said Aruna Airan, ISA Advisor.

“It’s for a good cause, something that’s never going to be forgotten,” said sophomore Deepika Aneja, ISA Historian. “President Shalala was the first person to sign the banner, showing her support of the project”.

Hundreds of students and faculty stopped by the U.C. Breezeway to add their signature to the banner.

In fact, so many people signed the banner that the first of two banners was completely full of names within 4 hours of the initial signing.

“There has been a huge turnout from students and faculty,” said Kunal Patel, junior and ISA Webmaster. “We were very surprised that we needed another banner so quickly”.

The banners were done in conjunction with the American Red Cross and are going to be displayed in New York City sometime this month.

“They probably won’t be displayed at Ground Zero, but probably somewhere more permanent like a school or a victim’s counseling center,” Aneja said.

The banners were available for signing in the breezeway from the end of last week until the beginning of this week.

They were also on display at the vigil that took place on Wednesday night.

Students wrote words of condolences or drew pictures.

Others just signed their names.

“It’s a way for me to share my feelings of condolence with the victims,” said sophomore Jose Martinez.

A reflection on the unparalleled career of a true public servant, a man respected across the country ...

The improvements to the IM fields offer a safer, more efficient field for the University community. ...

President Donald Trump’s letter to the Turkish president has been looked at as undiplomatic and unpr ...

The LGBTQ Student Center and SpectrUM invite the UM community to show their true colors during LGBT ...

Miller School of Medicine students are visiting barbershops to offer free health screenings to Afric ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.