ISA banners honor 9/11 heroes & victims

Since September 5, The Indian Students Association (ISA) has been gathering signatures for a banner in memory of the victims and heroes of 9/11.

ISA President Roshan Shah was inspired to do the banner following a visit to New York last spring.

“I was able to sign an American Flag at Ground Zero but I realize that not everybody can go to New York,” Shah said.

“People have asked us why we are doing this when the banner signing may seem to fit into other organizations better,” Shah said. “The ISA has been known to promote Indian culture, dance and food, yet this year we want to focus on the Indian spirit; this embodies compassion.”

“I think this is a good project that will help many people cope with everything that has happened,” said Aruna Airan, ISA Advisor.

“It’s for a good cause, something that’s never going to be forgotten,” said sophomore Deepika Aneja, ISA Historian. “President Shalala was the first person to sign the banner, showing her support of the project”.

Hundreds of students and faculty stopped by the U.C. Breezeway to add their signature to the banner.

In fact, so many people signed the banner that the first of two banners was completely full of names within 4 hours of the initial signing.

“There has been a huge turnout from students and faculty,” said Kunal Patel, junior and ISA Webmaster. “We were very surprised that we needed another banner so quickly”.

The banners were done in conjunction with the American Red Cross and are going to be displayed in New York City sometime this month.

“They probably won’t be displayed at Ground Zero, but probably somewhere more permanent like a school or a victim’s counseling center,” Aneja said.

The banners were available for signing in the breezeway from the end of last week until the beginning of this week.

They were also on display at the vigil that took place on Wednesday night.

Students wrote words of condolences or drew pictures.

Others just signed their names.

“It’s a way for me to share my feelings of condolence with the victims,” said sophomore Jose Martinez.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...