ISA banners honor 9/11 heroes & victims

Since September 5, The Indian Students Association (ISA) has been gathering signatures for a banner in memory of the victims and heroes of 9/11.

ISA President Roshan Shah was inspired to do the banner following a visit to New York last spring.

“I was able to sign an American Flag at Ground Zero but I realize that not everybody can go to New York,” Shah said.

“People have asked us why we are doing this when the banner signing may seem to fit into other organizations better,” Shah said. “The ISA has been known to promote Indian culture, dance and food, yet this year we want to focus on the Indian spirit; this embodies compassion.”

“I think this is a good project that will help many people cope with everything that has happened,” said Aruna Airan, ISA Advisor.

“It’s for a good cause, something that’s never going to be forgotten,” said sophomore Deepika Aneja, ISA Historian. “President Shalala was the first person to sign the banner, showing her support of the project”.

Hundreds of students and faculty stopped by the U.C. Breezeway to add their signature to the banner.

In fact, so many people signed the banner that the first of two banners was completely full of names within 4 hours of the initial signing.

“There has been a huge turnout from students and faculty,” said Kunal Patel, junior and ISA Webmaster. “We were very surprised that we needed another banner so quickly”.

The banners were done in conjunction with the American Red Cross and are going to be displayed in New York City sometime this month.

“They probably won’t be displayed at Ground Zero, but probably somewhere more permanent like a school or a victim’s counseling center,” Aneja said.

The banners were available for signing in the breezeway from the end of last week until the beginning of this week.

They were also on display at the vigil that took place on Wednesday night.

Students wrote words of condolences or drew pictures.

Others just signed their names.

“It’s a way for me to share my feelings of condolence with the victims,” said sophomore Jose Martinez.

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...