In Solemn Memory UM community unites to remember 9/11

“We as a nation need to offset the images and memories we have of dust, debris and fire and replace them with images such as that of praying in the soft light of flickering candles,” Dr. Steven Sapp, head of the religion department, said Wednesday.

Eight hundred members of the UM community attended a candlelight vigil that day to remember the victims of the September 11 terrorist attacks last year.

The service which included testimonials from students was originally planned for the University Green, but because of the possibility of rain was moved into the Wellness Center.

“The shape of the world. . . is a mess,” said speaker Reverend Delanore M. McIntosh. “But what we remember with resolve is that the horrible events of 9/11 will not shake our hopes, our dreams, our spirits.”

“Who we are as Americans is illustrated by the stories we tell about ourselves now and forever,” Sapp said. “The terrorists have forever altered our national story and how we as Americans tell it.

“As a nation we lost, among other things, our sense of invulnerability. . . the great national illusion of invisible shields that protect us is finally and irreparably shattered.”

During the event students were able to voice what they felt as a compilation of testimonials was read by various students who expressed what they did on the day of the attacks.

“We all wrote our own individual stories and we put them all together to read out during the event,” said co-host Cie Chapel.

Student speakers pointed out how 9/11 began like any other day and how they were having a hard time processing exactly what was happening at the time.

“That day caused me to face a major inner conflict,” said Minal, a Muslim student who recited her personal experiences to the audience.

“Through the combination of my faith and citizenship [I felt like] a walking contradiction. I never felt so displaced in my life.”

The event also included two performances by the Inspirational Concert Choir and the Lance Rhodes Band.

“I felt tingles running up my spine when the choir began to sing,” said Meredith Casteda, an attendant at the event. “They sounded like sweet angels that wrapped me up in their warm voices.”

After the student testimonials and reflective speeches by selected faculty members, the vigil ended with students receiving candles and proceeding to their respective residential colleges.

“This ceremony fully expressed the range of emotions felt on that fateful day and the procession was carried out in a civil and respectful fashion. I am sure many students needed this event,” said Julie Matar, a senior.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...