Gamarra anticipates successful season

It has been a long road to success for Columbian native and star volleyball player Marcela Gamarra. Now, in her senior season, she has a chance to lead the ‘Canes pursuit of a Big East championship.

“My expectations are to lead the team and to get into the playoffs, and hopefully win the Big East this year,” said Gamarra, a six-foot senior who played two years of volleyball at Miami-Dade Community College, before transferring to UM last season.

At Miami-Dade, Gamarra earned All-Southern conference honors in both 1999 and 2000. Last season, Gamarra led the Hurricanes in almost every offensive category, and amassed personal career highs in kills (375) and digs (205). She also joined the 30-kill club last September in a match against Jacksonville.

This year, the expectations for her are even higher, and she knows that it is her job to lead this team.

“My position here is to lead this team with my experience and athletic ability. That is what I am doing right now, helping my team win, by getting kills, or making plays, and I hope we can keep winning,” said Gamarra.

Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch understands that this team’s success will hinge highly on what her senior can do this season. However, with Gamarra, the team’s leadership role is in very good hands.

“Marcela is our only senior, so we look to her for leadership, not only on the court, but off the court as a person too. She is definitely our go to player, when we are struggling, we look to her to give us a lift,” said Lantagne Welch.

Gamarra began playing volleyball when she was 11 years old on her national team in Columbia. It is this experience that helps her have confidence on the court, and makes her teammates look up to her.

“Marcela is a great leader. She always steps it up on the court and she is very positive, she is always striving to do better. She sets the standard for the team. She’s a great all-around player. Personally, I want to play like her,” said teammate and friend Christina Hernandez.

However, it was not easy for Gamarra to leave Columbia because it meant leaving her family behind. She had to come to the United States all alone, leaving many loved family and friends back in Columbia. These facts motivate her to work harder everyday.

“What motivates me is that I am leaving so many things in Columbia, so that whatever I do here, I have to do the best that I can, in my studies and in volleyball. This is the time I’m not using to be with them, so I want to make the most of it.”

Gamarra is also a great student, and as architecture major, she works hard to balance her studies and her school. Along with being talented on the court and in the classroom, she is a great friend to her teammates.

“She’s the sweetest and smartest person I know. I’ve had a hard time because of my surgery, and then I had another one, and she’s been there for me this whole time, and now that I’m coming back, she’s helping to push my recovery along,” said Hernandez.

The one common theme about Marcela Gamarra from everyone who knows her is that she is a great volleyball player, and a great person.

“Marcela is a great person, you watch her on the court and she looks so mean because she’s such a great volleyball player, but she’s an incredible person and that is what makes her so special,” said Lantagne Welch.

You can reach Darren Grossman at DRG215@aol.com.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...