Discussion boards offer new insight into 9/11

A commemoration and discussion event honoring the victims and families of 9/11 was held in the University’s Maurice Gusman Concert Hall on Wednesday, the anniversary of the attack.

The exercises were introduced by Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs and Provost Luis Glaser.

“September 11, 2001 was a day that we went through and that every generation after us will remember. It forever changed our perceptions of how we live in this world,” Glaser said.

Glaser’s speech was followed by a Presidential address by UM President Donna E. Shalala.

“This day of mourning is to honor those who died with learning,” said Shalala. “We celebrate our freedom of speech but we also display our patriotism.”

After the speech there was a moment of silence followed by a rendition of “God Bless America” performed by the UM Ovation.

“I got very emotional during the moment of silence and when I heard all of the voices sing,” said Jaselda Gutierrez, a student at FIU who attended the event. “I could just feel the emotion in the room; the camaraderie that we all felt for one another really moved me.”

Among the attendants were faculty, students and volunteers for the event.

“I saw the flyers around campus for the event and I was immediately interested in attending,” said Edward Martos, a junior majoring in political science. “Everyone in the country has had to deal with [Sep.11] and will continue to be affected by the impact that it will have on our future.”

During the discussion boards, several topics were raised including the United States and 9/11, the world and 9/11, security issues after 9/11 and the human spirit and 9/11. All of the discussions included professors and experts in the topics presented.

“I thought the discussions provided a lot of valuable information that much of the public may have been unaware of or misinformed about,” said Gutierrez. “I hope everyone who sat through the discussions went away with the same insight that I gained by listening to the speakers.”

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...