Discussion boards offer new insight into 9/11

A commemoration and discussion event honoring the victims and families of 9/11 was held in the University’s Maurice Gusman Concert Hall on Wednesday, the anniversary of the attack.

The exercises were introduced by Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs and Provost Luis Glaser.

“September 11, 2001 was a day that we went through and that every generation after us will remember. It forever changed our perceptions of how we live in this world,” Glaser said.

Glaser’s speech was followed by a Presidential address by UM President Donna E. Shalala.

“This day of mourning is to honor those who died with learning,” said Shalala. “We celebrate our freedom of speech but we also display our patriotism.”

After the speech there was a moment of silence followed by a rendition of “God Bless America” performed by the UM Ovation.

“I got very emotional during the moment of silence and when I heard all of the voices sing,” said Jaselda Gutierrez, a student at FIU who attended the event. “I could just feel the emotion in the room; the camaraderie that we all felt for one another really moved me.”

Among the attendants were faculty, students and volunteers for the event.

“I saw the flyers around campus for the event and I was immediately interested in attending,” said Edward Martos, a junior majoring in political science. “Everyone in the country has had to deal with [Sep.11] and will continue to be affected by the impact that it will have on our future.”

During the discussion boards, several topics were raised including the United States and 9/11, the world and 9/11, security issues after 9/11 and the human spirit and 9/11. All of the discussions included professors and experts in the topics presented.

“I thought the discussions provided a lot of valuable information that much of the public may have been unaware of or misinformed about,” said Gutierrez. “I hope everyone who sat through the discussions went away with the same insight that I gained by listening to the speakers.”

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...