Discussion boards offer new insight into 9/11

A commemoration and discussion event honoring the victims and families of 9/11 was held in the University’s Maurice Gusman Concert Hall on Wednesday, the anniversary of the attack.

The exercises were introduced by Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs and Provost Luis Glaser.

“September 11, 2001 was a day that we went through and that every generation after us will remember. It forever changed our perceptions of how we live in this world,” Glaser said.

Glaser’s speech was followed by a Presidential address by UM President Donna E. Shalala.

“This day of mourning is to honor those who died with learning,” said Shalala. “We celebrate our freedom of speech but we also display our patriotism.”

After the speech there was a moment of silence followed by a rendition of “God Bless America” performed by the UM Ovation.

“I got very emotional during the moment of silence and when I heard all of the voices sing,” said Jaselda Gutierrez, a student at FIU who attended the event. “I could just feel the emotion in the room; the camaraderie that we all felt for one another really moved me.”

Among the attendants were faculty, students and volunteers for the event.

“I saw the flyers around campus for the event and I was immediately interested in attending,” said Edward Martos, a junior majoring in political science. “Everyone in the country has had to deal with [Sep.11] and will continue to be affected by the impact that it will have on our future.”

During the discussion boards, several topics were raised including the United States and 9/11, the world and 9/11, security issues after 9/11 and the human spirit and 9/11. All of the discussions included professors and experts in the topics presented.

“I thought the discussions provided a lot of valuable information that much of the public may have been unaware of or misinformed about,” said Gutierrez. “I hope everyone who sat through the discussions went away with the same insight that I gained by listening to the speakers.”

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...