Discussion boards offer new insight into 9/11

A commemoration and discussion event honoring the victims and families of 9/11 was held in the University’s Maurice Gusman Concert Hall on Wednesday, the anniversary of the attack.

The exercises were introduced by Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs and Provost Luis Glaser.

“September 11, 2001 was a day that we went through and that every generation after us will remember. It forever changed our perceptions of how we live in this world,” Glaser said.

Glaser’s speech was followed by a Presidential address by UM President Donna E. Shalala.

“This day of mourning is to honor those who died with learning,” said Shalala. “We celebrate our freedom of speech but we also display our patriotism.”

After the speech there was a moment of silence followed by a rendition of “God Bless America” performed by the UM Ovation.

“I got very emotional during the moment of silence and when I heard all of the voices sing,” said Jaselda Gutierrez, a student at FIU who attended the event. “I could just feel the emotion in the room; the camaraderie that we all felt for one another really moved me.”

Among the attendants were faculty, students and volunteers for the event.

“I saw the flyers around campus for the event and I was immediately interested in attending,” said Edward Martos, a junior majoring in political science. “Everyone in the country has had to deal with [Sep.11] and will continue to be affected by the impact that it will have on our future.”

During the discussion boards, several topics were raised including the United States and 9/11, the world and 9/11, security issues after 9/11 and the human spirit and 9/11. All of the discussions included professors and experts in the topics presented.

“I thought the discussions provided a lot of valuable information that much of the public may have been unaware of or misinformed about,” said Gutierrez. “I hope everyone who sat through the discussions went away with the same insight that I gained by listening to the speakers.”

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...