Discussion boards offer new insight into 9/11

A commemoration and discussion event honoring the victims and families of 9/11 was held in the University’s Maurice Gusman Concert Hall on Wednesday, the anniversary of the attack.

The exercises were introduced by Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs and Provost Luis Glaser.

“September 11, 2001 was a day that we went through and that every generation after us will remember. It forever changed our perceptions of how we live in this world,” Glaser said.

Glaser’s speech was followed by a Presidential address by UM President Donna E. Shalala.

“This day of mourning is to honor those who died with learning,” said Shalala. “We celebrate our freedom of speech but we also display our patriotism.”

After the speech there was a moment of silence followed by a rendition of “God Bless America” performed by the UM Ovation.

“I got very emotional during the moment of silence and when I heard all of the voices sing,” said Jaselda Gutierrez, a student at FIU who attended the event. “I could just feel the emotion in the room; the camaraderie that we all felt for one another really moved me.”

Among the attendants were faculty, students and volunteers for the event.

“I saw the flyers around campus for the event and I was immediately interested in attending,” said Edward Martos, a junior majoring in political science. “Everyone in the country has had to deal with [Sep.11] and will continue to be affected by the impact that it will have on our future.”

During the discussion boards, several topics were raised including the United States and 9/11, the world and 9/11, security issues after 9/11 and the human spirit and 9/11. All of the discussions included professors and experts in the topics presented.

“I thought the discussions provided a lot of valuable information that much of the public may have been unaware of or misinformed about,” said Gutierrez. “I hope everyone who sat through the discussions went away with the same insight that I gained by listening to the speakers.”

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...