“Tom Walker” transforms old tale into superb theatre old tale into superb theatre

***

From beginning to end, New Theatre’s complex fable of a man who sells his soul to the devil, makes one contemplate the aspects of life that are conflicted with greed and passion.

Hearing the live violin music helps to place the audience in the timely setting of the 18th century. “Tom Walker,” written by John Strand, stars a middle-aged man, played by Stephen S. Neal, who allows his desire for riches to overpower him.

This leads to a deal with an “alleged” black Lucifer. As Lucious Smith (AKA the devil) says himself, in a role masterfully played by Robert Strain, “the devil dwells in every man’s heart,” and this play follows that decree and then some.

The universality of the title character, Tom Walker, helps swindle the audience into a plot that appears sinfully predictable, but, of course, is not. Lisa Morgan delights the audience in dual roles as the love interests in Tom Walker’s life. One lover is a crude, miserly woman, and the other, a cherished asset to his life. Tom’s initial wife seems to fall straight from the lines of Shakespeare’s “Taming of the Shrew,” with a cross-pollination of the Bible’s Book of Job.

“Death makes a man think,” and so does this slyly told tale of mirth and avidity. One might find it difficult to imagine being corrupted by a passion for riches, and the audience clearly beholds this conviction in Tom Walker as a character.

It is almost painful to watch this flaw consume him so far into the play, as Walker himself describes: “All my gold I’d give back to purchase my poverty.” A small cast of characters, including a stand-out performance by Tara Reid, as the narrator Cora, and Ken Clement and David Perez-Ribada, who play several roles, help round out this study of the life of an alcoholic, middle-aged fiddler with tight-knit sufficiency.

This is the recreation of a “legend” that goes beneath the surface, to entertain and instruct individuals who wished to be moved emotionally. “This land is full of Tom Walkers,” is an excerpt that cannot possess more truth.

“Tom Walker” plays through September 15, 2002 at the New Theatre in Coral Gables, Wednesdays through Saturdays, 8pm, and Sundays at 2pm. Call (305) 443-5909 for more information.

Josh Caraballo can be reached at email4josh@aol.com.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...