News Briefs

Students who DO NOT wish to be listed in the new University of Miami’s Telephone and E-Mail Directories must notify the Registrar, in writing, on or before Friday, Sept. 27th. Bring your letter to the Office of the Registrar, 121 Whitten University Center. Include in your letter, your full name, student number, information to be deleted from the directory (phone and/or address, e-mail or complete deletion including name), and be sure to sign it!

Elections for Student Government are just around the corner. Campaign to become a Senator and help improve life at UM for all undergraduate students. Elections are September 23rd-September 25, mark your calendars and VOTE! To find out more about Student Government, available offices, and the election process, visit www.miami.edu/student-activities and click on Elections Commission.

The Hispanic Scholarship Fund, a national scholarship-granting organization, will be launching their UM Scholar Chapter on September 19th at the Lowe Art Museum from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. The purpose of this event is to recognize outstanding Latino scholars and to encourage all Hispanic students at the University of Miami to participate in Scholar Chapter activities.
The Scholar Chapter will guide students to their chosen degree, develop pre-professional skills, and serve as mentors and peer resources to younger students. The first meeting will be held on September 16th at 8:30 p.m. in UC 237. All students are welcome to attend.

Tickets are now on sale for this year’s Festival Miami presented by the School of Music. The 19th season, which begins on Saturday, September 21, will feature 28 performances, all packed into five spectacular weeks. This year’s concert series will delight South Florida’s cultural community with an extensive selection of concerts ranging from classical music to jazz to Broadway and even Ballet. The Festival continues virtually non-stop through Saturday, October 26. Call 305-284-4940 to purchase tickets or for additional information.

The University of Miami is pleased to once again host the annual American Heart Association (AHA) 5K Walk on the Coral Gables campus, Saturday, September 14th. Last year, more than 7,000 participants walked around campus to raise funds for this fighting heart disease and stroke. It’s not too late to join Team UM, lead by Honorary Chairperson of the event, UM President Donna E. Shalala. To join Team UM, call Janet Tiberian at 305-284-6524.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...