News Briefs

Students who DO NOT wish to be listed in the new University of Miami’s Telephone and E-Mail Directories must notify the Registrar, in writing, on or before Friday, Sept. 27th. Bring your letter to the Office of the Registrar, 121 Whitten University Center. Include in your letter, your full name, student number, information to be deleted from the directory (phone and/or address, e-mail or complete deletion including name), and be sure to sign it!

Elections for Student Government are just around the corner. Campaign to become a Senator and help improve life at UM for all undergraduate students. Elections are September 23rd-September 25, mark your calendars and VOTE! To find out more about Student Government, available offices, and the election process, visit www.miami.edu/student-activities and click on Elections Commission.

The Hispanic Scholarship Fund, a national scholarship-granting organization, will be launching their UM Scholar Chapter on September 19th at the Lowe Art Museum from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. The purpose of this event is to recognize outstanding Latino scholars and to encourage all Hispanic students at the University of Miami to participate in Scholar Chapter activities.
The Scholar Chapter will guide students to their chosen degree, develop pre-professional skills, and serve as mentors and peer resources to younger students. The first meeting will be held on September 16th at 8:30 p.m. in UC 237. All students are welcome to attend.

Tickets are now on sale for this year’s Festival Miami presented by the School of Music. The 19th season, which begins on Saturday, September 21, will feature 28 performances, all packed into five spectacular weeks. This year’s concert series will delight South Florida’s cultural community with an extensive selection of concerts ranging from classical music to jazz to Broadway and even Ballet. The Festival continues virtually non-stop through Saturday, October 26. Call 305-284-4940 to purchase tickets or for additional information.

The University of Miami is pleased to once again host the annual American Heart Association (AHA) 5K Walk on the Coral Gables campus, Saturday, September 14th. Last year, more than 7,000 participants walked around campus to raise funds for this fighting heart disease and stroke. It’s not too late to join Team UM, lead by Honorary Chairperson of the event, UM President Donna E. Shalala. To join Team UM, call Janet Tiberian at 305-284-6524.