Introducing the Wallflower:

At the Wallflower, screenings of new independent films, a poetry night, muti-media showcases, and a gift shop are some of the features found at this ever-changing “gallery.”

Currently on display are the works of four very talented visual artists.

Their work is so good that it might even inspire you to purchase an entire set of new furnishings for your living room. Anibal Fernandez, a native of Uruguay who moved to Miami 7 years ago, captures in his oil and acrylic paintings a consonant semblance almost reminiscent of a Romanticist. His fluid works are characterized by a smoothness of shading and a peaceful ambience created by a detailed air-brush style. Look out for a visual representation of different sensations and nature’s beautiful harmonics in “Tree Eye,” “The Eye in the Storm” as well as “Crossin’ Winds and Seas”.

Clutch, a former electronica DJ from Utica, New York, claims his work is inspired from, among others, Spawn cartoonist Todd McFarlane, and he moved to Florida 22 years ago. He wants to project street style in his art through modern technology. His “Computerized Digital Design Exhibition” meddles with your concentration through digitally-designed paintings that seem to vivify the extreme personalities and abstract concepts of modern society. The graphic images have a chromatic edge and smooth coloration, and may display the humanistic thrill of living. You might find yourself in awe while viewing “Time Squared,” “Signs,” and “DJ Rabeat,” all containing a marvelous use of colorization techniques.

Dive into a more somber feel while gaping at Abdiel Acosta’s oil and

mixed-media collection. The Cuban native says he’s been influenced by the works of Robert Rauschenberg and Frida Karlo, and he combines personal as well as historic images in his mixed-media creations to seemingly convey intrinsic mental visions and feelings. The sense of tumult in his work appears as a destructive force that is compensated by subtle, clean details that reflect a certain balance. “Producto de un Cultura” and a piece incorporating the biblical Adam and Eve theme entitled “The Deception” are highlights.

Then there’s Xavier Cortes, a Venezuelan native who has resided Miami for the past 20 years. Bauhaus, Dali and Warhol are cited to be his influences, but his work delves into new levels of consciousness. In his acrylic and mixed-media creations, he pleases the eye with a number of pasted found items that add texture and, possibly, further symbolic meaning. He also mingles the old with the new by combining miniature animal skulls with technology and thus establishes certain emotional gradations in his sculptures. “Absolut,” “Antelope,” and “Tree of Life” all demand your attention. Cortes’ work is entrancing and seems to want to display the gritty interaction of technology with the broader realm of life.

All exhibits run until Saturday, October 26. Call (305) 579-0069 for more info.

Joshua Caraballo can be reached at email4josh@aol.com.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...