Introducing the Wallflower:

At the Wallflower, screenings of new independent films, a poetry night, muti-media showcases, and a gift shop are some of the features found at this ever-changing “gallery.”

Currently on display are the works of four very talented visual artists.

Their work is so good that it might even inspire you to purchase an entire set of new furnishings for your living room. Anibal Fernandez, a native of Uruguay who moved to Miami 7 years ago, captures in his oil and acrylic paintings a consonant semblance almost reminiscent of a Romanticist. His fluid works are characterized by a smoothness of shading and a peaceful ambience created by a detailed air-brush style. Look out for a visual representation of different sensations and nature’s beautiful harmonics in “Tree Eye,” “The Eye in the Storm” as well as “Crossin’ Winds and Seas”.

Clutch, a former electronica DJ from Utica, New York, claims his work is inspired from, among others, Spawn cartoonist Todd McFarlane, and he moved to Florida 22 years ago. He wants to project street style in his art through modern technology. His “Computerized Digital Design Exhibition” meddles with your concentration through digitally-designed paintings that seem to vivify the extreme personalities and abstract concepts of modern society. The graphic images have a chromatic edge and smooth coloration, and may display the humanistic thrill of living. You might find yourself in awe while viewing “Time Squared,” “Signs,” and “DJ Rabeat,” all containing a marvelous use of colorization techniques.

Dive into a more somber feel while gaping at Abdiel Acosta’s oil and

mixed-media collection. The Cuban native says he’s been influenced by the works of Robert Rauschenberg and Frida Karlo, and he combines personal as well as historic images in his mixed-media creations to seemingly convey intrinsic mental visions and feelings. The sense of tumult in his work appears as a destructive force that is compensated by subtle, clean details that reflect a certain balance. “Producto de un Cultura” and a piece incorporating the biblical Adam and Eve theme entitled “The Deception” are highlights.

Then there’s Xavier Cortes, a Venezuelan native who has resided Miami for the past 20 years. Bauhaus, Dali and Warhol are cited to be his influences, but his work delves into new levels of consciousness. In his acrylic and mixed-media creations, he pleases the eye with a number of pasted found items that add texture and, possibly, further symbolic meaning. He also mingles the old with the new by combining miniature animal skulls with technology and thus establishes certain emotional gradations in his sculptures. “Absolut,” “Antelope,” and “Tree of Life” all demand your attention. Cortes’ work is entrancing and seems to want to display the gritty interaction of technology with the broader realm of life.

All exhibits run until Saturday, October 26. Call (305) 579-0069 for more info.

Joshua Caraballo can be reached at email4josh@aol.com.

Talula Thibault, a senior at the University of Miami and chair of the ECO Agency, will participate i ...

Overturning a widely accepted fact, University of Miami researchers discover that fruit flies hate b ...

The Miami Business School this fall launched a unique and forward-thinking Master of Science in Sust ...

The United States can handle its growing debt a lot better than other countries, such as Argentina, ...

A University of Miami materials engineer is developing a method that will help the aviation industry ...

Miami evened its record with a win over Central Michigan. Now, a quarter of the way through the seas ...

The Hurricanes forced three turnovers and held off a hard-fought effort from Central Michigan, defea ...

Daevenia Achong of the Miami women's tennis team won a pair of matches Sunday to reach the Milw ...

The Hurricanes hung on for a 17-12 win over Central Michigan, but acknowledged there are things they ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up action Sunday at the Miami Fall Invite, posting a 3-1 ...