A split decision in Tallahassee

The No. 23rd ranked University of Miami women’s soccer team shut out Louisiana State, 1-0, Friday afternoon in the Seminole Invitational in Tallahassee, Fla. The Hurricanes (3-0-0) moved into the Soccer Buzz top 25 ranked No. 23 in the nation and fourth in the Southeast Region.

Junior Allison McWhinney scored the game-winning goal for UM in the 82nd minute of the match. McWhinney scored her first goal of the season on a pass from sophomore Andrea Radice.

Miami took 16 shots in the match, including nine shots on goal. LSU took a total of six shots with only one shot on goal. Senior goalkeeper Rachel Elsby played all 90 minutes in goal for UM making one save and allowing no goals. The Tigers goalie Robyn DesOrmeaux made eight saves on the day and allowed one goal in 90 minutes of action.

On Sunday, however, the team fell to Missouri, 1-0, in a hard fought battle concluding the Seminole Invitational in Tallahassee, Fla. Sunday afternoon. The Hurricanes lost their first match of the season falling to 3-1-0 overall, while the Tigers improve to 2-1-1.

Missouri netted the only goal of the match in the 12th minute of play scoring on a penalty kick. Karen Bauer took the PK for the Tigers and scored launching a goal into the bottom right corner of the net. With 12 minutes to left play in the first half Miami netted a goal, however, the play was ruled unofficial as UM was called offsides.

The Hurricanes finished the match with 26 shots, including 11 shots on goal. The Tigers took 10 total shots; five of the 10 were on goal. Missouri goalkeeper Megan Duncan made 11 saves in 90 minutes of action.

Miami goalkeeper Rachel Elsby played the entire match in goal allowing one goal and making four saves.

The Hurricanes are back in action Wednesday night hosting No. 15 FSU at 7 p.m.

-Information Provided by the Sports Information Department

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...