A split decision in Tallahassee

The No. 23rd ranked University of Miami women’s soccer team shut out Louisiana State, 1-0, Friday afternoon in the Seminole Invitational in Tallahassee, Fla. The Hurricanes (3-0-0) moved into the Soccer Buzz top 25 ranked No. 23 in the nation and fourth in the Southeast Region.

Junior Allison McWhinney scored the game-winning goal for UM in the 82nd minute of the match. McWhinney scored her first goal of the season on a pass from sophomore Andrea Radice.

Miami took 16 shots in the match, including nine shots on goal. LSU took a total of six shots with only one shot on goal. Senior goalkeeper Rachel Elsby played all 90 minutes in goal for UM making one save and allowing no goals. The Tigers goalie Robyn DesOrmeaux made eight saves on the day and allowed one goal in 90 minutes of action.

On Sunday, however, the team fell to Missouri, 1-0, in a hard fought battle concluding the Seminole Invitational in Tallahassee, Fla. Sunday afternoon. The Hurricanes lost their first match of the season falling to 3-1-0 overall, while the Tigers improve to 2-1-1.

Missouri netted the only goal of the match in the 12th minute of play scoring on a penalty kick. Karen Bauer took the PK for the Tigers and scored launching a goal into the bottom right corner of the net. With 12 minutes to left play in the first half Miami netted a goal, however, the play was ruled unofficial as UM was called offsides.

The Hurricanes finished the match with 26 shots, including 11 shots on goal. The Tigers took 10 total shots; five of the 10 were on goal. Missouri goalkeeper Megan Duncan made 11 saves in 90 minutes of action.

Miami goalkeeper Rachel Elsby played the entire match in goal allowing one goal and making four saves.

The Hurricanes are back in action Wednesday night hosting No. 15 FSU at 7 p.m.

-Information Provided by the Sports Information Department

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...