Culture

Surefire Album Standouts for the Fall

Beck
Album: Sea Change
Release Date: September 24
Beck returns with a quieter folk sound similar to 1998’s Mutations. Expect intimate lyrics and the old school rock poetry influences of artists like Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen. Songs such as “The Golden Age” and “Round the Bend,” are drenched with acoustic guitars, orchestras, and pianos. This is the sleepy appetizer to his main course follow up to 1999’s Midnite Vultures.

Badly Drawn Boy
Album: Have You Fed the Fish
Release Date: October 22
Partially recorded in the same room where the Beach Boys conceived their classic Pet Sounds, Damon Gough tries a new classical, yet danceable approach, without leaving behind his acclaimed tender sounds.

Foo Fighters
Album: One by One
Release Date: October 22
Led by harder hitting tracks like “Overdrive” and the already released “All My Life,” Dave Grohl and company take their music back to the grittier rock of the band’s breakthrough debut. Dimmer, more experimental sounds will keep it from bordering on grunge revival. Look for Queens of the Stone Age guitarist Brian May to return Grohl’s guest drumming favor on one track.

Ryan Adams
Album: Demolition
Release Date: September 24
Girls’ favorite alt-country prince returns with a collection of demos and unreleased tracks recorded in different studios around the globe. Soon after the release of Demolition, Adams plans to record the sequel to his critically and commercially triumphant Gold.

Santana
Album: Shaman
Release Date: October 22
Sticking to the same recipe that made his last LP, Supernatural, a multiple Grammy winner, Carlos Santana enlists current pop artists, like Michelle Branch, P.O.D., and Dido on his newest release. Highlights include the soothing “Game of Love” and “Feels Like Fire.”

Tori Amos
Album: Scarlet’s Walk
Release Date: October 19
These angry yet gentle piano and chorus driven songs were recorded at Amos’ studio in Cornwall, England. Fans can expect more of the personal and emotional narrative that usually graces her music.

Diana Pastrana can be reached at d.pastranatorres@umiami.edu.

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...