Surefire Album Standouts for the Fall

Beck
Album: Sea Change
Release Date: September 24
Beck returns with a quieter folk sound similar to 1998’s Mutations. Expect intimate lyrics and the old school rock poetry influences of artists like Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen. Songs such as “The Golden Age” and “Round the Bend,” are drenched with acoustic guitars, orchestras, and pianos. This is the sleepy appetizer to his main course follow up to 1999’s Midnite Vultures.

Badly Drawn Boy
Album: Have You Fed the Fish
Release Date: October 22
Partially recorded in the same room where the Beach Boys conceived their classic Pet Sounds, Damon Gough tries a new classical, yet danceable approach, without leaving behind his acclaimed tender sounds.

Foo Fighters
Album: One by One
Release Date: October 22
Led by harder hitting tracks like “Overdrive” and the already released “All My Life,” Dave Grohl and company take their music back to the grittier rock of the band’s breakthrough debut. Dimmer, more experimental sounds will keep it from bordering on grunge revival. Look for Queens of the Stone Age guitarist Brian May to return Grohl’s guest drumming favor on one track.

Ryan Adams
Album: Demolition
Release Date: September 24
Girls’ favorite alt-country prince returns with a collection of demos and unreleased tracks recorded in different studios around the globe. Soon after the release of Demolition, Adams plans to record the sequel to his critically and commercially triumphant Gold.

Santana
Album: Shaman
Release Date: October 22
Sticking to the same recipe that made his last LP, Supernatural, a multiple Grammy winner, Carlos Santana enlists current pop artists, like Michelle Branch, P.O.D., and Dido on his newest release. Highlights include the soothing “Game of Love” and “Feels Like Fire.”

Tori Amos
Album: Scarlet’s Walk
Release Date: October 19
These angry yet gentle piano and chorus driven songs were recorded at Amos’ studio in Cornwall, England. Fans can expect more of the personal and emotional narrative that usually graces her music.

Diana Pastrana can be reached at d.pastranatorres@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...