Surefire Album Standouts for the Fall

Beck
Album: Sea Change
Release Date: September 24
Beck returns with a quieter folk sound similar to 1998’s Mutations. Expect intimate lyrics and the old school rock poetry influences of artists like Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen. Songs such as “The Golden Age” and “Round the Bend,” are drenched with acoustic guitars, orchestras, and pianos. This is the sleepy appetizer to his main course follow up to 1999’s Midnite Vultures.

Badly Drawn Boy
Album: Have You Fed the Fish
Release Date: October 22
Partially recorded in the same room where the Beach Boys conceived their classic Pet Sounds, Damon Gough tries a new classical, yet danceable approach, without leaving behind his acclaimed tender sounds.

Foo Fighters
Album: One by One
Release Date: October 22
Led by harder hitting tracks like “Overdrive” and the already released “All My Life,” Dave Grohl and company take their music back to the grittier rock of the band’s breakthrough debut. Dimmer, more experimental sounds will keep it from bordering on grunge revival. Look for Queens of the Stone Age guitarist Brian May to return Grohl’s guest drumming favor on one track.

Ryan Adams
Album: Demolition
Release Date: September 24
Girls’ favorite alt-country prince returns with a collection of demos and unreleased tracks recorded in different studios around the globe. Soon after the release of Demolition, Adams plans to record the sequel to his critically and commercially triumphant Gold.

Santana
Album: Shaman
Release Date: October 22
Sticking to the same recipe that made his last LP, Supernatural, a multiple Grammy winner, Carlos Santana enlists current pop artists, like Michelle Branch, P.O.D., and Dido on his newest release. Highlights include the soothing “Game of Love” and “Feels Like Fire.”

Tori Amos
Album: Scarlet’s Walk
Release Date: October 19
These angry yet gentle piano and chorus driven songs were recorded at Amos’ studio in Cornwall, England. Fans can expect more of the personal and emotional narrative that usually graces her music.

Diana Pastrana can be reached at d.pastranatorres@umiami.edu.

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...