Students anticipate victory at UF

The fight begins.

As the Hurricanes and the Gators prepare to square off on the field tomorrow, Hurricane fans are doing a little preparation of their own.

Bags are being packed by the few going to Gainesville, and plans are being made by the many who will watch the game from campus.

Anticipating what is considered the first “real” game by most of the student body, tensions are mounting and spirits are high.

Unlike last week’s game against FAMU, freshman Lindsey Hanlon anticipates “a very physical game, with the ‘Canes, of course, coming out on top.”

“It’ll be difficult, but I’m positive UM will triumph,” freshman Jamie Songer said.

Freshman Rachael Burg is also optimistic although she wishes the game was a home game.

“Out of all the games I had to miss,” she said, “it had to be the UF game. I know it’ll be a great showdown and the Gators don’t stand a chance.”

The ‘Canes and the Gators haven’t met each other on the field for a seasonal game since 1987 and the stakes couldn’t be higher for both teams.

Not only is the win a toss-up, but quarterbacks Ken Dorsey and Rex Grossman are competitors for this year’s coveted Heisman trophy.

This competitive factor will only add another ingredient to this already flammable mix.

“Grossman vs. Dorsey?” said junior Jason Warsaw. “Only one can be the best. My money’s on Dorsey.”

“We’ve beat them before and I’m confident we’ll beat them again,” said freshman Drew Kelly. “The Gators got nothing on us.”

“Amazing! After all this time, they still think they can beat us!” freshman Gina Licciardi said.

The rivalry between the Hurricanes and the Gators has gone on for what seems like forever.

This Saturday will be their 51st meeting on the field.

For many students, however, the rivalry goes beyond just football.

Senior Richard Rand III cautioned, “Watch out ’cause the Hurricanes are gonna blow their trailer park away.”

Junior Taylor Graham joined Rand in saying, “Those trailer-trash Gainesville people don’t stand a chance.”

“I expect a complete, total shutdown,” said sophomore Alexander Cardenas, “a scoreless competition.”

Sophomore Aldo Berti said he expects “the same results as two years ago at the Sugar Bowl without the blood.”

Victory has become the battle cry of UM.

“All I’m saying,” said freshman Randi Melton, “is that the Gators should feel honored to be beaten by such a worthy team like the ‘Canes.”

Hurricane pride is rampant. Everyone is confident that Saturday will be another claimed victory by the Canes.

“After all, it’s not a question of who will win,” said sophomore Ricardo Maristany. “The question is, what’s the score gonna be?”

“I mean, come on,” followed freshman Alyssa Gross. “Were we or were we not National Champions last year? What’s there to discuss?”

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...