Sigma Chi wins IM labor day softball tournament

The Labor Day Softball Tournament was played last Sunday and the champions are Sigma Chi! Sigma Chi breezed through the Greek bracket and met Pi Kappa Alpha in the Greek finals. Pike playing with only 9 players put up a valiant effort but came up short from winning the points.

The 86’ers came out of the independent bracket for the championship game. They met some really good teams on their way but just as Sigma Chi had done, they were just too good to be kept from the championship. The 86’ers were crowned the Independent champion by beating a very good Pearson team that combined with another good ACS team to form one quality team.

In the championship, Sigma Chi jumped out to an early lead and never looked back as they won 17-11 over the 86’ers. Chris McDermott and Bob Switzer were the co-MVPs as they lead their team to the first championship for Sigma Chi in a few years! Overall, the power and teamwork of Sigma Chi prevailed and were crowned the first champion of the 2002-2003 Intramural season.

Intramural Reminders

Flag Football / Floor Hockey / Tennis Singles: Entry Deadline – Friday, Sept. 6 by 5pm.

Flag Football Officials: All students are welcome to earn $6 per hour as an intramural official. An emergency training is Monday, September 9 @ 5pm at the Wellness Center.

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...