Rebirth of a rivalry

This Saturday will be one of the defining moments in the Miami Hurricanes football season. For the first time in over a decade, the Hurricanes will face the Gators during the regular season. So what exactly is the big deal about this weekend’s game?

The history is one major factor. The current record between the two teams stands tied at 25 games apiece. Even a University of Florida graduate can tell you that Saturday’s game will decide who has the upper hand in the rivalry. But bragging rights are not the only concern.

Much more than a simple record is on the line. If you recall, the two teams met two years ago in the Sugar Bowl, and the Gators barely escaped alive. Add to that the fact that the ‘Canes are the reigning national champions, and it becomes clear just how much the Gators have to prove. In Saturday’s game, the focus will also be on the quarterbacks, Ken Dorsey and Rex Grossman. Grossman leads one of the most dangerous offenses in the nation, and he rarely leaves a game with less than 300 yards passing (of course, one can only wonder at the punishment the Canes’ menacing secondary of last year would have put on the Gators’ passing game, but unfortunately we will never know the outcome of that situation).

While many players are new, the Hurricanes know what it takes to be a national championship caliber team. They have already been through the tests and they were successful. The Gators, on the other hand, failed to prove themselves last year, and will quite possibly fail again under the pressure of Miami’s attack.

We hope you enjoy the game. And don’t forget that you are witnessing the rebirth of a rivalry. May we emerge victorious.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...