Online program allows students to choose roommate

Students come to live on campus from all over the country, and it can be a nerve-wracking experience.

If worries about money, stereo equipment and refrigerators weren’t enough, there is, of course, the roommate: a person with whom to share the same 20 cubic feet of living space for an entire year (not to mention the bathroom).

Some institutions such as Kennesaw State University and University of Tennessee are trying to make things easier on students and themselves.

Using online systems like WebRoomz, students who are accepted into the school fill out a detailed survey and are matched with potentially compatible roommates.

“It makes sense,” Tara Shane, a sophomore film major, said, “because I know a lot of people who had really bad experiences with roommates their first semester.”

Control is given to students which could potentially save universities a great deal of time and money.

All rooms could be filled without having to do any paper work, and if students already know who their roommates are, it could potentially reduce the number of room changes and complaints.

Although the system appears beneficial on the surface, Dr. Robert Redick, Director of Residence Halls, explained that UM tried out a similar approach 15 years ago with little success.

“When I first heard about this system, I was very interested; however, upon closer examination, there is no proof that it works any better than random selection.,” said Redick. “How do you determine how many questions have to add up for there to be a match?

“No matter how compatible someone seems on paper, there are always variables,” he said.

Financial aspects can also be handled through WebRoomz. Students can pay their room and board online with a credit card as well as purchase meal plans and parking decals.

This raises the question of equity. Not all incoming students have access to the same resources.

“Not only would this program obligate freshmen to do more things and fill out more paperwork that UM can do for them, but it also assumes that all students have internet access, which they don’t,” Mike Johnston, Student Government President, said. “You have to think globally. There are 140 countries represented at UM, and not all people have access to, or can afford the Internet.”

College life is full of diversity and new experiences, and some believe that picking a roommate from a compatibility list would spoil that aspect.

“People don’t have to be alike to get along,” Redick said. “If this were truly a good system, people would fill out surveys to get married. Here at UM, people are free to change rooms, but it is a much more adult and humane way of dealing with problems.

“People are diverse and changing, which is the beauty of being human. By trying to match people on a 30 question form denies that.”

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...