One Hour Photo: Robin Williams Gets Nuts

If nothing else, One Hour Photo finally certifies Robin Williams as a dramatic talent with considerable range. This is a goal that he’s been working studiously at in 2002, with One Hour Photo book ending a semi-trilogy of darkness.

Unfortunately, the first two didn’t do much for him: Death to Smoochy was one of the year’s major busts, disemboweled by a slew of awful reviews. The terrific Insomnia gave Williams some strong scenes as a suspected killer, but a great performance by Al Pacino stole what little light was in the film.

In One Hour Photo, Williams has the stage to himself. He plays Sy Parrish, a photo clerk haunted by the weight of everyday life. Parrish has no wife, no friends, and has chosen to waive off years of vacation time. Sporting glasses, a buzz cut, and bleached hair, Williams plops right into the role of an everyday worker like a maniacal couch potato. This is a character you’d never expect see outside of work and it’s also a great performance, arguably Williams’s best as an actor. Out of this year’s three performances, this one is sure to get an Oscar nomination.

One of the main customers at the SavMart photo lab is Nina Yorkin (Connie Nielsen), a cute publicist, who’s 9-year old son, Jake (Dylan Walsh) fits into the adorable little boy in unseen danger. The father, Will (Michael Vartan), is the average family man. He’s not around a lot because he is out making the big bucks. To the Yorkin family, Parrish is the corny but kind “Sy the Photo guy.” To Sy, the Yorkin family represents everything that he doesn’t have and yearns for. They are a dignified symbol of stability and security.

Parrish becomes obsessed with them. We see hundreds of their photos pasted on the walls of Sy’s home. We see Sy go out of his way to act like an uncle figure to Jake. We see Sy go through a series of frighteningly screwed up hallucinations as “Uncle Sy.”

Shocking revelations occur, which cause Parrish’s transformation from a lonely, haunted individual into one that can no longer be considered a non-threat to society. There’s no need to spoil the “fun” that arises, except to say that first time writer-director Mark Romanek handles it in a subtle, yet graphic way.

The film is a complete triumph visually for Romanek, who’s prior work includes directing the nefarious Nine Inch Nails music video, “Closer.” He gives us horrific, yet beautiful imagery throughout the moderately paced conflicts in Sy Parrish’s life. Romanek control the camera with deft precision, and doesn’t cram to much into a scene, something quite rare for MTV talent.

In the 1980s, Williams showed a strong ability to balance comedy with dramatic acting. Lately, he’s been confined to comedic roles that remain dull no matter how nutty the differences in impressions and voices.

With One Hour Photo, Williams is the complete opposite. Sy Parrish may be smiling on the outside, but inside his soul is full of tortured memories and macabre futures. We feel this character’s emptiness inside, and by the end of the film, we can also feel his rage.

Jeremy Marks-Peltz can be reached by his honeys at all times.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...