Listen to unique music, sports & more on WVUM

Did you know that the University of Miami has a student-run radio station? Well we do. WVUM 90.5fm is entering our 35th year of live broadcasting. What began as a pirate station in the 1960’s is now one of the leading independent stations in South Florida.

Offering a wide variety of music, news, and sports programming, we do our best to keep our listeners in the Miami area entertained.

So what kind of music does WVUM play? I suppose a general rule of thumb that we try and follow here is that we do not play music that can be heard on any other area stations – because what’s the point of that?

WVUM is the only station around where you will hear artists such as Wilco, EL-P, Sonic Youth or the Breeders.

The independent music we play is not limited to one genre. We have specialty shows dedicated to all different types of music. From world music, to hip hop, to punk, goth, jazz, electric and even classical; we basically have everyone’s tastes covered. Those shows are only a tip of the iceberg as well.

Additionally, we bring you timely news shows that deal with the issues that effect you – the students of the University of Miami. WVUM is also the only station that broadcasts every single game of Hurricane baseball. In addition to hardball coverage, WVUM also broadcasts all home football games, every women’s basketball game and select men’s basketball games.

WVUM is also a great place for UM student organizations to promote their activities on air. With announcements running up to twice an hour, many of the school’s organizations have gained notoriety with the help of WVUM.

Every member of the WVUM staff, be they DJ’s, newscasters, sportscasters, or engineers, are all full-time students here at UM. This means that you, too, can become involved.

If you are interested in working with our radio station, stop by our office, located just outside of the University Center, or call us at 305/284.3131.

If you want to check us out on the air, turn your dial to 90.5fm. If you would like to see us in person, come to the UC patio starting Wednesday September 18th, for our “Wednesday Groove” session

As the General Manager of the station, I am here to help WVUM for the better. Those of you who know about the station and the recent history of it will be pleased with some of the changes we are going through. Our main goal, though, is to give the students here at UM a chance to listen to and discover some fun music on the radio, and also to become as involved as they want to be in all the many different facets of our station.

Jesse Agler, General Manager of WVUM. Jesse can be reached at j.agler@umiami.edu