Kind of Like Spitting Talk New Tour and Staying Indie

Kind of Like Spitting’s core member Ben Barnett stopped by the studios of WVUM 90.5 FM to sing a few songs and chat about their upcoming tour with Saves the Day. If you’re not familiar with KOLS, they are very committed to maintaining a DIY ethic. Their shows are usually around $5, even when they could be higher, and they have an open line of communication with their fans.

Q: So, Saves the Day doesn’t exactly play the same style of music as you, how do you feel about ending up on this tour?

KOLS: I’m pretty excited about it. They’re really sweet, and they’re nice, and I’ve known them for years.

Q: Well, even beyond the stylistic differences, Saves the Day is at a different level than you as far as mainstream popularity. You guys, of course, are a band that have made a name for your selves playing small inexpensive shows, while Saves the Day are a band headlining $12-15 dollar shows. How do you feel about their stardom and how it will affect you?

KOLS: They’re young, and they’re honest, and they blew up. It’s not a crime to blow up. Everyone’s been supportive, like “Hey, that’s really great for you guys.” It’s going to be crazy. We’re still going to play acoustic sets outside after the shows, and we’re going to play as a rock band. I think we’re also going to do a lot of acoustic house shows during the day, and just try to stay away from the monster that is “big indie rock” right now. It’s kind of scary to me, as it’s looking a lot more like the major [labels]in a big way, and that’s starting to kinda freak me out. But this tour is great. I mean, we do this tour, and we can go out and do little shows for five bucks, and do things that we want to do, like be a cheaper band. It’s tough though, and I struggle with it a little bit.

Kind of Like Spitting will be playing at the Metal Factory in Fort Lauderdale on November 14 with Saves the Day and Piebald. Listen to WVUM 90.5 FM for upcoming details. Their new album, Bridges Worth Burning, produced by John Goodmanson (Low, Wu-tang Clan), is out now on Barsuk Records. For more info visit www.ohevrecords.com and www.barsuk.com.

James Hush can be reached at music@wvum.org.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...