film review: 24 Hour Party People ****

As the credits roll and you walk towards the exit, you’ll probably wonder where 24 Hour Party People came from. This thought will throb about your head, leaving you dizzied by the trail of lights on the theatre floor. It feels as if you’ve been inside a dreamy club/museum for two hours and as you walk out into the sunlight, it’ll hit you that bands like Joy Division no longer exist, much less explosive music scenes like “Madchester.” Celluloid uppers followed by reality downers.

24 Hour Party People is a faux documentary about Manchester, England from 1976-1992 and the full-sprint ambition of concert promoter Tony Wilson, a role played effortlessly by British comic Steve Coogan. During these years, Manchester was laced with a live assault of bands that changed the face of music forever and documented humanity’s craving for creative chaos and hedonism.

The film kicks off with a Monty Pythonesque scene in which Wilson, on assignment as a broadcast journalist, hang glides and crashes in front of his camera crew. Refusing to compromise his integrity, Wilson speaks directly to the audience ala Ferris Bueller without a wink, and compares his failure of flight to Icarus’. He continues to explain how Icarus’ story is also a metaphor for his involvement in the Manchester music industry. It’s a vivid recreation of music legend from here on.

Wilson churns out another monster of an analogy, this time to the Last Supper, while in attendance at the first Sex Pistols show in 1976. A mere 42 people were present during that group’s debut performance, and cinematographer Robby M

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...