U. Florida’s ice cream licks Florida State U.’s in grocery stores

(U-WIRE) GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Gator fans who love football and ice cream can get the best of both worlds at their local supermarket.

Edy’s Ice Cream is sponsoring its third annual “Ice Cream Bowl” competition and will reintroduce last year’s rivals: the University of Florida’s Reptile Ripple and Florda State University’s Seminole Caramel Scramble.

The University of Miami’s Hurricane Blitz is joining the competition this year.

Last year, Reptile Ripple outsold the competition, selling more than 45,000 gallons – 2,500 more than FSU’s flavor, said Lou Ricardo, Edy’s Regional Marketing Manager.

Edy’s gave UF $22,000 from the proceeds, which was distributed to various campus programs, Ricardo said.

This competition is a great way for fans to support their campus, he said.

“This is a fun competition and everyone wins,” Ricardo said.

Edy’s has sponsored the competition in other states, but Ricardo said the company has had the most success in Florida.

“Other fans just didn’t have the passion that Florida football fans do,” he said.

All three flavors are made up of chocolate and caramel ice cream with caramel swirls and will be sold for $4.99 a carton until December, when the flavors will be discontinued.

University of Miami’s new/old starting quarterback Malik Rosier thought his college football career ...

You know what the infamous N’Kosi Perry wads-o’-cash video brings to mind for me? The good old days. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday evening: ▪ Would you like a greater understanding of why ...

As the college football season continues toward the finish line, Bovada updated its odds on who can ...

More misfortune for the University of Miami football program. University of Miami freshman running b ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

Miami's offense has shown consistent improvement in practice and it is eager to shine on Friday ...

The University of Miami volleyball program closes out its homestand against instate rival Florida St ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami women's basketball placed fifth in the ACC Coaches' predicted order of finish, w ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up competition Tuesday at the ITA Southeast R ...