U. Florida’s ice cream licks Florida State U.’s in grocery stores

(U-WIRE) GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Gator fans who love football and ice cream can get the best of both worlds at their local supermarket.

Edy’s Ice Cream is sponsoring its third annual “Ice Cream Bowl” competition and will reintroduce last year’s rivals: the University of Florida’s Reptile Ripple and Florda State University’s Seminole Caramel Scramble.

The University of Miami’s Hurricane Blitz is joining the competition this year.

Last year, Reptile Ripple outsold the competition, selling more than 45,000 gallons – 2,500 more than FSU’s flavor, said Lou Ricardo, Edy’s Regional Marketing Manager.

Edy’s gave UF $22,000 from the proceeds, which was distributed to various campus programs, Ricardo said.

This competition is a great way for fans to support their campus, he said.

“This is a fun competition and everyone wins,” Ricardo said.

Edy’s has sponsored the competition in other states, but Ricardo said the company has had the most success in Florida.

“Other fans just didn’t have the passion that Florida football fans do,” he said.

All three flavors are made up of chocolate and caramel ice cream with caramel swirls and will be sold for $4.99 a carton until December, when the flavors will be discontinued.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...