U. Florida’s ice cream licks Florida State U.’s in grocery stores

(U-WIRE) GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Gator fans who love football and ice cream can get the best of both worlds at their local supermarket.

Edy’s Ice Cream is sponsoring its third annual “Ice Cream Bowl” competition and will reintroduce last year’s rivals: the University of Florida’s Reptile Ripple and Florda State University’s Seminole Caramel Scramble.

The University of Miami’s Hurricane Blitz is joining the competition this year.

Last year, Reptile Ripple outsold the competition, selling more than 45,000 gallons – 2,500 more than FSU’s flavor, said Lou Ricardo, Edy’s Regional Marketing Manager.

Edy’s gave UF $22,000 from the proceeds, which was distributed to various campus programs, Ricardo said.

This competition is a great way for fans to support their campus, he said.

“This is a fun competition and everyone wins,” Ricardo said.

Edy’s has sponsored the competition in other states, but Ricardo said the company has had the most success in Florida.

“Other fans just didn’t have the passion that Florida football fans do,” he said.

All three flavors are made up of chocolate and caramel ice cream with caramel swirls and will be sold for $4.99 a carton until December, when the flavors will be discontinued.

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...