U. Florida’s ice cream licks Florida State U.’s in grocery stores

(U-WIRE) GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Gator fans who love football and ice cream can get the best of both worlds at their local supermarket.

Edy’s Ice Cream is sponsoring its third annual “Ice Cream Bowl” competition and will reintroduce last year’s rivals: the University of Florida’s Reptile Ripple and Florda State University’s Seminole Caramel Scramble.

The University of Miami’s Hurricane Blitz is joining the competition this year.

Last year, Reptile Ripple outsold the competition, selling more than 45,000 gallons – 2,500 more than FSU’s flavor, said Lou Ricardo, Edy’s Regional Marketing Manager.

Edy’s gave UF $22,000 from the proceeds, which was distributed to various campus programs, Ricardo said.

This competition is a great way for fans to support their campus, he said.

“This is a fun competition and everyone wins,” Ricardo said.

Edy’s has sponsored the competition in other states, but Ricardo said the company has had the most success in Florida.

“Other fans just didn’t have the passion that Florida football fans do,” he said.

All three flavors are made up of chocolate and caramel ice cream with caramel swirls and will be sold for $4.99 a carton until December, when the flavors will be discontinued.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...