State of Florida quarterbacks head 2002 Heisman Trophy watch list

Favorites
Rex Grossman
(QB, Florida, Jr.)
Grossman throws the ball deeper with more accuracy than anyone in the nation. However, he will have to adjust to life without Steve Spurrier. If Grossman can beat Miami and Tennessee, the Heisman is his. If he struggles, it proves Spurrier’s system was the reason for his success.

Ken Dorsey
(QB, Miami, Sr.)
Dorsey is the most intelligent quarterback in college football. He must prove he can succeed with an inexperienced offensive line that will give up more sacks than last season. Dorsey is 26-1 as a starter and can take the Heisman home if he leads Miami to victories in statement games against Florida, FSU, and Tennessee.

Byron Leftwich
(QB, Marshall, Sr.)
Will put up huge numbers against sub par MAC opponents. Prior Marshall players Chad Pennington and Randy Moss went to New York City, but came home empty handed. Leftwich will need to win at Virginia Tech on Sept. 12 for any chance whatsoever, or it will be 0-for-3 for Marshall Heisman hopefuls.

Hopefuls
Jason Gesser
(QB, Washington, Sr.)
Led Wash. St. to 10-2 record last season behind a strong and very accurate arm. Will lead a spread out offense that calls for plenty of deep passing plays that will pad his stats. Statement game against Ohio State on Sept. 14 should make him known. An undefeated season is very possible.

Chris Simms
(QB, Texas, Sr.)
Texas coach Mack Brown will allow Simms to throw often to the best receivers in the country. Simms can finally put the Major Applewhite situation behind him, but he must lead the Longhorns to nothing less than a National Title for Longhorn fans to accept him. Simms has to put up huge numbers and prove himself for reasons other than his famous father.

Onterrio Smith
(RB, Oregon, Jr.)
Smith will get a boatload of carries that will assure him amazing numbers. However, playing on the west coast will hurt his name recognition, and the Ducks may have to go undefeated for him to earn a trip to New York.

Sleepers
Dave Ragone
(QB, Louisville, Sr.)
Ragone is not known around the country. He is a big quarterback who throws well on the run. Schedule is not too tough but will probably have to beat FSU at home on Sept. 26 for a chance to win the hardware.

Chris Rix
(QB, Florida State, Soph.)
Rix compiled 3,123 yards of total offense as a freshman last season. He returns with a much-improved team, including an outstanding offensive line and speedy wide receivers. Rix’s performance against Miami and Florida will control his fate.

Casey Clausen
(QB, Tennessee, Jr.)
Doesn’t have great arm strength but will throw to an amazing target in wideout Kelly Washington and will have plenty of time behind a solid offensive line. It will be hard to ignore him if the Vols beat Florida and Miami.
The Rest
Eli Manning (QB, Ole Miss, Jr.), Chris Brown (RB, Colorado, Jr.), Lee Suggs (RB, Virginia Tech, Sr.), Charles Rogers (WR, Michigan State, Soph), EJ Henderson (LB, Maryland, Sr.), Cedric Benson (RB, Texas, Soph).

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...