State of Florida quarterbacks head 2002 Heisman Trophy watch list

Favorites
Rex Grossman
(QB, Florida, Jr.)
Grossman throws the ball deeper with more accuracy than anyone in the nation. However, he will have to adjust to life without Steve Spurrier. If Grossman can beat Miami and Tennessee, the Heisman is his. If he struggles, it proves Spurrier’s system was the reason for his success.

Ken Dorsey
(QB, Miami, Sr.)
Dorsey is the most intelligent quarterback in college football. He must prove he can succeed with an inexperienced offensive line that will give up more sacks than last season. Dorsey is 26-1 as a starter and can take the Heisman home if he leads Miami to victories in statement games against Florida, FSU, and Tennessee.

Byron Leftwich
(QB, Marshall, Sr.)
Will put up huge numbers against sub par MAC opponents. Prior Marshall players Chad Pennington and Randy Moss went to New York City, but came home empty handed. Leftwich will need to win at Virginia Tech on Sept. 12 for any chance whatsoever, or it will be 0-for-3 for Marshall Heisman hopefuls.

Hopefuls
Jason Gesser
(QB, Washington, Sr.)
Led Wash. St. to 10-2 record last season behind a strong and very accurate arm. Will lead a spread out offense that calls for plenty of deep passing plays that will pad his stats. Statement game against Ohio State on Sept. 14 should make him known. An undefeated season is very possible.

Chris Simms
(QB, Texas, Sr.)
Texas coach Mack Brown will allow Simms to throw often to the best receivers in the country. Simms can finally put the Major Applewhite situation behind him, but he must lead the Longhorns to nothing less than a National Title for Longhorn fans to accept him. Simms has to put up huge numbers and prove himself for reasons other than his famous father.

Onterrio Smith
(RB, Oregon, Jr.)
Smith will get a boatload of carries that will assure him amazing numbers. However, playing on the west coast will hurt his name recognition, and the Ducks may have to go undefeated for him to earn a trip to New York.

Sleepers
Dave Ragone
(QB, Louisville, Sr.)
Ragone is not known around the country. He is a big quarterback who throws well on the run. Schedule is not too tough but will probably have to beat FSU at home on Sept. 26 for a chance to win the hardware.

Chris Rix
(QB, Florida State, Soph.)
Rix compiled 3,123 yards of total offense as a freshman last season. He returns with a much-improved team, including an outstanding offensive line and speedy wide receivers. Rix’s performance against Miami and Florida will control his fate.

Casey Clausen
(QB, Tennessee, Jr.)
Doesn’t have great arm strength but will throw to an amazing target in wideout Kelly Washington and will have plenty of time behind a solid offensive line. It will be hard to ignore him if the Vols beat Florida and Miami.
The Rest
Eli Manning (QB, Ole Miss, Jr.), Chris Brown (RB, Colorado, Jr.), Lee Suggs (RB, Virginia Tech, Sr.), Charles Rogers (WR, Michigan State, Soph), EJ Henderson (LB, Maryland, Sr.), Cedric Benson (RB, Texas, Soph).

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...