Parking woes to diminish as semester starts

UM has finally decided to alleviate one of its most notorious problems – parking.

After two years of planning and negotiating, the Parking Management Plan is finally in action, and the results are showing: more parking spaces and less parking hassles.

“[When it’s done,] it’s going to be the biggest parking change in the history of the University,” Associate Vice President of Business Services Alan Fish said. “This is tremendous, the biggest thing ever in parking.”

“We are dramatically changing the landscape of parking here at the University of Miami for the better,” said Charles McConnell, Director of Parking and Transportation Services.

The Pavia Garage, opposite the Daystar Health Center and adjacent to the UC, boasting 561 spaces, and the new Liguria, Red Road North and Red Road South perimeter lots are all now open.

The Ponce Garage, soon to open with 1,052 spaces, is still under construction in order to finish the two-floor expansion.

According to McConell, however, the Ponce garage’s first floor will be opened in the next seven to ten days, while the existing spaces above will be opened in September.

Both garages offer 24-hour security, emergency blue light phones and shelter from the weather.

“This semester will probably be hectic. They may have built more parking but they are still behind,” Luis Midence, a graduate student, said.

The University is currently leasing 200 spaces across the street from the Ponce Parking Garage in Miami public lots 42 and 43 to temporarily soften the demand.

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...