Parking woes to diminish as semester starts

UM has finally decided to alleviate one of its most notorious problems – parking.

After two years of planning and negotiating, the Parking Management Plan is finally in action, and the results are showing: more parking spaces and less parking hassles.

“[When it’s done,] it’s going to be the biggest parking change in the history of the University,” Associate Vice President of Business Services Alan Fish said. “This is tremendous, the biggest thing ever in parking.”

“We are dramatically changing the landscape of parking here at the University of Miami for the better,” said Charles McConnell, Director of Parking and Transportation Services.

The Pavia Garage, opposite the Daystar Health Center and adjacent to the UC, boasting 561 spaces, and the new Liguria, Red Road North and Red Road South perimeter lots are all now open.

The Ponce Garage, soon to open with 1,052 spaces, is still under construction in order to finish the two-floor expansion.

According to McConell, however, the Ponce garage’s first floor will be opened in the next seven to ten days, while the existing spaces above will be opened in September.

Both garages offer 24-hour security, emergency blue light phones and shelter from the weather.

“This semester will probably be hectic. They may have built more parking but they are still behind,” Luis Midence, a graduate student, said.

The University is currently leasing 200 spaces across the street from the Ponce Parking Garage in Miami public lots 42 and 43 to temporarily soften the demand.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...