Miami vs FAMU 7:00PM Saturday

UM
Quarterbacks: Ken Dorsey will be out to prove that he is among the nation’s elite quarterbacks. He will prove last season’s success was not only due to his outstanding O-line.
Running Backs: Willis McGahee has impressed the coaching staff in practice and is ready to make a good impression to help ease the loss of Clinton Portis to the NFL. Converted wide receiver Jason Geathers has explosive speed backing up McGahee.

Wide Receivers: Andre Johnson will have no trouble stretching the field against the FAMU secondary. Kevin Beard and Ethenic Sands return from last year’s unit, while newcomer Roscoe Parrish will impress.
Offensive Line: There has been a lot of focus on Miami’s O-line. The ‘Canes will have three new starters along with seniors Brett Romberg and Sherko Haji-Rasouli. The unit is clearly not as good as last year, but will still dominate their opponents.
Defensive Line: Miami may have the deepest unit in the nation, but will be slowed down early due to the injured Andrew Williams and Jerome McDougle. William Joseph and Matt Walters return at the tackles, while Jamal Green and Cornelius Green will start at the ends.
Linebackers: Middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma is primed for a breakout season after making his name noticed in the 2001 Rose Bowl run. Weakside linebacker D.J. Williams is also ready to have a monster season, with Howard Clark starting on the strong side.
Secondary: The biggest question mark on the Miami team will be tested early against a FAMU team that loves to throw the ball. Sophomore strong safety Sean Taylor has impressed the coaching staff with his ability to hit often and hard.
Special Teams: UM punter Freddie Capshaw is on the 2002 Ray Guy Award watch list as a candidate for the top collegiate punter of the year. Placekicker Todd Sievers has become almost automatic.

FAMU
Quarterbacks: Four-year starter Brock Nutter leads a spread out offense that loves to go downfield. Nutter has not faced a secondary even close to the caliber of the Canes.
Running Backs: The FAMU rushing attack will struggle mightily against the ferocious UM front seven. The Ratlers top returning rusher is junior Edward Baker who rushed for only 100 yards on eight carries in 2001.

Wide Receiver: FAMU will run four and five receiver sets led by seniors Marco Junious (33 receptions and three TDs in 2001) and Charlie Allen (46 receptions and two TDs). However, the spread out offense will struggle if the Ratlers fail to rush the ball effectively.
Offensive Line: The O-line is a big concern for FAMU, as they return only three players who saw extensive playing time last season. Will have a lot in store for them facing the UM D-line.

Defensive Line: FAMU has a good set of ends in junior Sean Kelly (13 sacks last season) and sophomore Jeff Green. The tackles may be too undersized to get enough push against the UM front.

Linebackers:The strongest unit on the Ratlers squad. Senior Alex Fortson, who recorded 58 tackles and seven sacks in 2001, will be all over the field.

Secondary: An experienced unit led by junior safety Levy Brown (team-high 98 tackles in 2001) and junior cornerback and Miami native Shedrick Copeland. Ratlers’ secondary has never faced as potent of a passing attack as Miami.

Special Teams: Levy Brown will return kicks and punts. Junior placekicker Juan Vasquez was only three-of-11 in field goal attempts in 2001.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...