Miami vs FAMU 7:00PM Saturday

UM
Quarterbacks: Ken Dorsey will be out to prove that he is among the nation’s elite quarterbacks. He will prove last season’s success was not only due to his outstanding O-line.
Running Backs: Willis McGahee has impressed the coaching staff in practice and is ready to make a good impression to help ease the loss of Clinton Portis to the NFL. Converted wide receiver Jason Geathers has explosive speed backing up McGahee.

Wide Receivers: Andre Johnson will have no trouble stretching the field against the FAMU secondary. Kevin Beard and Ethenic Sands return from last year’s unit, while newcomer Roscoe Parrish will impress.
Offensive Line: There has been a lot of focus on Miami’s O-line. The ‘Canes will have three new starters along with seniors Brett Romberg and Sherko Haji-Rasouli. The unit is clearly not as good as last year, but will still dominate their opponents.
Defensive Line: Miami may have the deepest unit in the nation, but will be slowed down early due to the injured Andrew Williams and Jerome McDougle. William Joseph and Matt Walters return at the tackles, while Jamal Green and Cornelius Green will start at the ends.
Linebackers: Middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma is primed for a breakout season after making his name noticed in the 2001 Rose Bowl run. Weakside linebacker D.J. Williams is also ready to have a monster season, with Howard Clark starting on the strong side.
Secondary: The biggest question mark on the Miami team will be tested early against a FAMU team that loves to throw the ball. Sophomore strong safety Sean Taylor has impressed the coaching staff with his ability to hit often and hard.
Special Teams: UM punter Freddie Capshaw is on the 2002 Ray Guy Award watch list as a candidate for the top collegiate punter of the year. Placekicker Todd Sievers has become almost automatic.

FAMU
Quarterbacks: Four-year starter Brock Nutter leads a spread out offense that loves to go downfield. Nutter has not faced a secondary even close to the caliber of the Canes.
Running Backs: The FAMU rushing attack will struggle mightily against the ferocious UM front seven. The Ratlers top returning rusher is junior Edward Baker who rushed for only 100 yards on eight carries in 2001.

Wide Receiver: FAMU will run four and five receiver sets led by seniors Marco Junious (33 receptions and three TDs in 2001) and Charlie Allen (46 receptions and two TDs). However, the spread out offense will struggle if the Ratlers fail to rush the ball effectively.
Offensive Line: The O-line is a big concern for FAMU, as they return only three players who saw extensive playing time last season. Will have a lot in store for them facing the UM D-line.

Defensive Line: FAMU has a good set of ends in junior Sean Kelly (13 sacks last season) and sophomore Jeff Green. The tackles may be too undersized to get enough push against the UM front.

Linebackers:The strongest unit on the Ratlers squad. Senior Alex Fortson, who recorded 58 tackles and seven sacks in 2001, will be all over the field.

Secondary: An experienced unit led by junior safety Levy Brown (team-high 98 tackles in 2001) and junior cornerback and Miami native Shedrick Copeland. Ratlers’ secondary has never faced as potent of a passing attack as Miami.

Special Teams: Levy Brown will return kicks and punts. Junior placekicker Juan Vasquez was only three-of-11 in field goal attempts in 2001.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D in Durham, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Adria Soriano Barrera begins competition in the singles draw Monday at 5 p.m. with a contest against ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...