‘Hurricane’ changes, plans aim to please students

The Miami Hurricane is making its debut as a tabloid paper this year.

Since a broadsheet can be difficult to read while walking on campus, the staff hopes that the versatility of the tabloid size will be more reader friendly. In other words, one can read and take a tabloid paper everywhere.

“This is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. A college paper should be a tabloid,” said Editor-in-Chief Jordan Rodack.

In addition to the size there will also be some other major changes.

The Opinion section will be expanded to two pages allowing for staff editorials as well as more campus opinions.

As far as the front page goes, “We’re hoping to make it as attractive as possible,” said Rodack. “In the past the paper has been very gray. We plan to improve this year by putting as much art and color on both the front and back pages. The back page will now be the sports section.

“In essence, it will be our second front page because it will have the same look and feel. Hopefully [this]will draw more people into the paper also.”

The Style section will broaden its focus according to Rodack. Instead of concentrating strictly on entertainment, it will include articles about UM and Miami culture, and everything in between.

Other tidbits Rodack mentioned for this year include a special section made for the entertainment and enjoyment of the readers. This section will feature crossword puzzles, cartoon strips and perhaps an advice column and horoscopes.

“When a person thinks of a tabloid the National Enquirer may come to mind; however, a tabloid is just a change in size,” Rodack said of the change. “We don’t intend to sensationalize our stories.”

Although the change to tabloid style will not mean sensationalized stories, the paper will be different on the inside as well as the outside.

“We’re not only trying to change what the paper looks like; we want to become the best paper we can be and that means getting the best staff possible,” said Rodack. “We intend to cut down on errors and give our readers the most accurate and up to date coverage of UM.”

Rodack said the changes are an evolving process which will probably take some time to complete.

“This is not the end,” Rodack said. “This is just the beginning of what the Hurricane plans to change in the upcoming years. In the future we hope to publish a paper five days a week.”

University of Miami’s new/old starting quarterback Malik Rosier thought his college football career ...

You know what the infamous N’Kosi Perry wads-o’-cash video brings to mind for me? The good old days. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday evening: ▪ Would you like a greater understanding of why ...

As the college football season continues toward the finish line, Bovada updated its odds on who can ...

More misfortune for the University of Miami football program. University of Miami freshman running b ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

Miami's offense has shown consistent improvement in practice and it is eager to shine on Friday ...

The University of Miami volleyball program closes out its homestand against instate rival Florida St ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami women's basketball placed fifth in the ACC Coaches' predicted order of finish, w ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up competition Tuesday at the ITA Southeast R ...