Avoiding mediocrity: enthusiastic students

With the dawn of a new semester upon us, the Miami Hurricane would like to pose a challenge to all students to get off the sidelines and embrace all of the resources this University has to offer. It makes no sense if you’re spending a hefty ransom on tuition, but ignoring some of the best opportunities here.

For all of you journalism majors out there who still have no idea where the Hurricane office is, shame on you. A university newspaper of this size should be turning writers away, but instead we have just a small handful of devoted students who are clever enough to realize how crucial hands-on newspaper experience is to their future careers.

Sure it’s easy to be lazy and coast through school…but being satisfied with mediocrity will only keep you from discovering what you want to do with the rest of your life. But if that’s what you intend to do why spend $30 grand a year…why not fork over a few hundred bucks to a community college?

Your experience here is about what you put into it…just showing up for class is not enough. We are going to strive to make the Hurricane great…but a school’s newspaper is only as great as its students. With such a large student body, most of us will never meet face to face. Our newspaper will hopefully be a central meeting place where we can all come together and exchange ideas. We’d like the Opinion section to be a peaceful battleground for students to engage in debates…a place where conservatives, liberals, anarchists, and everyone in between can have their voices heard.

We’re sure we’ll all have a million excuses not to write this semester…but it’s just as easy to come up with the same amount of good reasons to write. And just think of the pride you’ll feel when you’re 80 years old and you have the musty yellowed pages of your old Hurricanes to show your grandchildren how feisty you once were.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...