Avoiding mediocrity: enthusiastic students

With the dawn of a new semester upon us, the Miami Hurricane would like to pose a challenge to all students to get off the sidelines and embrace all of the resources this University has to offer. It makes no sense if you’re spending a hefty ransom on tuition, but ignoring some of the best opportunities here.

For all of you journalism majors out there who still have no idea where the Hurricane office is, shame on you. A university newspaper of this size should be turning writers away, but instead we have just a small handful of devoted students who are clever enough to realize how crucial hands-on newspaper experience is to their future careers.

Sure it’s easy to be lazy and coast through school…but being satisfied with mediocrity will only keep you from discovering what you want to do with the rest of your life. But if that’s what you intend to do why spend $30 grand a year…why not fork over a few hundred bucks to a community college?

Your experience here is about what you put into it…just showing up for class is not enough. We are going to strive to make the Hurricane great…but a school’s newspaper is only as great as its students. With such a large student body, most of us will never meet face to face. Our newspaper will hopefully be a central meeting place where we can all come together and exchange ideas. We’d like the Opinion section to be a peaceful battleground for students to engage in debates…a place where conservatives, liberals, anarchists, and everyone in between can have their voices heard.

We’re sure we’ll all have a million excuses not to write this semester…but it’s just as easy to come up with the same amount of good reasons to write. And just think of the pride you’ll feel when you’re 80 years old and you have the musty yellowed pages of your old Hurricanes to show your grandchildren how feisty you once were.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...