Yaron Intramural field gets a facelift

Fitness and exercise can go beyond the walls of a building. For those who like to exercise outdoors, whether playing a sport or just goofing off, the newly updated Michael Yaron fields located directly behind the Wellness Center offer just that.

The Intramural Fields, as they used to be called, were given the name the Michael Yaron Fields in honor of the man who donated the money necessary to fix them up. The fields are used for club sports, intramural sports and open recreation time for those who like to toss around a football or just play soccer with friends.

The fields were given a $1 million face-lift in the summer of 2001. Updates include an irrigation system, replacing troublesome crabgrass with nicer grass, a lighting system that rivals baseball stadiums and even surveillance cameras. Perhaps most helpful is a lightning detection system that forms a canopy over the fields if lightning were to strike, protecting everyone beneath it.

Registration for intramurals begins the first day of fall classes and is open to any undergrad, grad, medical or law student in any grade level. Some intramural sports offered are football, soccer, basketball, softball, and volleyball.

The Wellness Center provides a Free Agent Program that offers students a chance to meet others interested in playing on team sports but do not have enough people to make a team.

Before the renovations, the fields were open to the public. Now only Wellness Center members have access to the fields, which are monitored by staff during Wellness Center hours.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...