Widom leads men to Regionals

The Miami men’s tennis team may not have advanced to another NCAA Championships, but the Hurricanes were represented there.

Freshman phenom Todd Widom, who compiled an overall record of 28-7, made it to the Sweet 16 of the NCAAs in College Station, Texas.

Widom recorded the only point for the Hurricanes (12-10) in each of their final two losses. Miami ended their season with a 4-1 loss to No. 25 South Florida at the NCAA Regionals in Gainesville. The other loss came against Notre Dame, the No. 1 seed in the Big East Tournament.

The men started off the tourney the right way by dominating West Virginia in a 4-0 decision in the first round. Then, they advanced to the championship game after upsetting No. 2 Virginia Tech, 4-3. On that day, the men were down 3-2 before Thomas Smid and Jose Lieberman both rallied to win their singles matches in three sets.

“It was a great college tennis match against Virginia Tech, but the downside is that we really did have some tough matches and it is really hot out here,” head coach Jay Berger said. “When you win 7-6 in the third in two matches, the guys are going to be a little tired.”

That proved to be true the following day as the ‘Canes were outmatched by the Fighting Irish men, who took the match, 4-1.

“They are probably just a little bit better than us and we needed a lot of good things to happen for us to win,” Berger said. “None of their guys didn’t play well today.”

The team’s lone victory came when Widom defeated Notre Dame ace Javier Taborga. Widom, who had lost in the Virginia Tech match, came out with something to prove.

“I played my worst match of the year the day before and I wanted to come out here and prove I was still playing good,” Widom said.

The victory over Taborga did give Widom the MVP award for the tournament. His coach said the award was well deserved.

“It was a great win that he beat Taborga today,” Berger said. “Todd is a very important part of our team, he plays the top competition and in most cases, takes out the top player.”

The bright point was that this team gained plenty of confidence with the victory. Miami was at a mediocre 8-8 before pulling off four straight wins.

“We gained a lot of confidence from winning the Virginia Tech match” Widom said. “We believe more and more in each other and we think we can come out and beat good teams now.”

The ‘Canes’ loss was not due to a lack of effort. Miami played hard throughout the tournament and never gave up, even when they were down against Virginia Tech and Notre Dame.

“We fought extremely hard in all the matches, especially today and yesterday and our players definitely showed some heart out there,” Berger said.

The Hurricanes will need more of the same next season, as half of the 2001-2002 squad were seniors.

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...