Welcome to the University of Miami.

Take time to get to know the campus, the people, the academic community and the university as a whole.

You’ll find this is a very exciting time to be a Hurricane. The football team is ready to defend its national championship. Donna Shalala just finished her first year as president. And new buildings are sprouting on campus, including an exciting new basketball arena.

The school stands poised to take a quantum leap in its already widely acclaimed academic standing.

You couldn’t have picked a better time to be here.

But as you bask in the South Florida sun, don’t take UM for granted. It needs your help, your involvement and your commitment. You can make a big difference on this campus.

As your mother no doubt told you: “College is what you make of it.” My advice is to listen to Mom.

Don’t blend in. Stand out. Get involved.

Check out the clubs and academic organizations. Check out the student government. And as editor of the student newspaper, I urge you to check out the Miami Hurricane.

This newspaper is the voice of the university community. It’s designed to reflect your needs, your thoughts and your interests. But it can only do so with your input and support.

The paper allows you to sound-off in our Opinion section, get updated on the latest in campus sports, find out all the breaking news at UM, and offers the best in features and entertainment news in our Accent section.

But we need new faces and fresh ideas. We want people who are not afraid of being challenged. And we want your help.

Stop by and see us when you get to campus and get settled. We’re looking for reporters, copy editors and just people who want to lend a helping hand. Our offices are located on the second floor of the University Center and our doors are always open.

We publish twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays.

You can make a big difference on the paper. And you can make a big difference on campus.

It’s all up to you.

Sincerely,

Jordan Rodack

Miami Hurricane Editor

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...