Welcome to the University of Miami.

Take time to get to know the campus, the people, the academic community and the university as a whole.

You’ll find this is a very exciting time to be a Hurricane. The football team is ready to defend its national championship. Donna Shalala just finished her first year as president. And new buildings are sprouting on campus, including an exciting new basketball arena.

The school stands poised to take a quantum leap in its already widely acclaimed academic standing.

You couldn’t have picked a better time to be here.

But as you bask in the South Florida sun, don’t take UM for granted. It needs your help, your involvement and your commitment. You can make a big difference on this campus.

As your mother no doubt told you: “College is what you make of it.” My advice is to listen to Mom.

Don’t blend in. Stand out. Get involved.

Check out the clubs and academic organizations. Check out the student government. And as editor of the student newspaper, I urge you to check out the Miami Hurricane.

This newspaper is the voice of the university community. It’s designed to reflect your needs, your thoughts and your interests. But it can only do so with your input and support.

The paper allows you to sound-off in our Opinion section, get updated on the latest in campus sports, find out all the breaking news at UM, and offers the best in features and entertainment news in our Accent section.

But we need new faces and fresh ideas. We want people who are not afraid of being challenged. And we want your help.

Stop by and see us when you get to campus and get settled. We’re looking for reporters, copy editors and just people who want to lend a helping hand. Our offices are located on the second floor of the University Center and our doors are always open.

We publish twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays.

You can make a big difference on the paper. And you can make a big difference on campus.

It’s all up to you.

Sincerely,

Jordan Rodack

Miami Hurricane Editor

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...