Welcome to the University of Miami.

Take time to get to know the campus, the people, the academic community and the university as a whole.

You’ll find this is a very exciting time to be a Hurricane. The football team is ready to defend its national championship. Donna Shalala just finished her first year as president. And new buildings are sprouting on campus, including an exciting new basketball arena.

The school stands poised to take a quantum leap in its already widely acclaimed academic standing.

You couldn’t have picked a better time to be here.

But as you bask in the South Florida sun, don’t take UM for granted. It needs your help, your involvement and your commitment. You can make a big difference on this campus.

As your mother no doubt told you: “College is what you make of it.” My advice is to listen to Mom.

Don’t blend in. Stand out. Get involved.

Check out the clubs and academic organizations. Check out the student government. And as editor of the student newspaper, I urge you to check out the Miami Hurricane.

This newspaper is the voice of the university community. It’s designed to reflect your needs, your thoughts and your interests. But it can only do so with your input and support.

The paper allows you to sound-off in our Opinion section, get updated on the latest in campus sports, find out all the breaking news at UM, and offers the best in features and entertainment news in our Accent section.

But we need new faces and fresh ideas. We want people who are not afraid of being challenged. And we want your help.

Stop by and see us when you get to campus and get settled. We’re looking for reporters, copy editors and just people who want to lend a helping hand. Our offices are located on the second floor of the University Center and our doors are always open.

We publish twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays.

You can make a big difference on the paper. And you can make a big difference on campus.

It’s all up to you.

Sincerely,

Jordan Rodack

Miami Hurricane Editor

Hosmay Lopez, a meteorologist at the University of Miami Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmosp ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...