Welcome to the University of Miami.

Take time to get to know the campus, the people, the academic community and the university as a whole.

You’ll find this is a very exciting time to be a Hurricane. The football team is ready to defend its national championship. Donna Shalala just finished her first year as president. And new buildings are sprouting on campus, including an exciting new basketball arena.

The school stands poised to take a quantum leap in its already widely acclaimed academic standing.

You couldn’t have picked a better time to be here.

But as you bask in the South Florida sun, don’t take UM for granted. It needs your help, your involvement and your commitment. You can make a big difference on this campus.

As your mother no doubt told you: “College is what you make of it.” My advice is to listen to Mom.

Don’t blend in. Stand out. Get involved.

Check out the clubs and academic organizations. Check out the student government. And as editor of the student newspaper, I urge you to check out the Miami Hurricane.

This newspaper is the voice of the university community. It’s designed to reflect your needs, your thoughts and your interests. But it can only do so with your input and support.

The paper allows you to sound-off in our Opinion section, get updated on the latest in campus sports, find out all the breaking news at UM, and offers the best in features and entertainment news in our Accent section.

But we need new faces and fresh ideas. We want people who are not afraid of being challenged. And we want your help.

Stop by and see us when you get to campus and get settled. We’re looking for reporters, copy editors and just people who want to lend a helping hand. Our offices are located on the second floor of the University Center and our doors are always open.

We publish twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays.

You can make a big difference on the paper. And you can make a big difference on campus.

It’s all up to you.

Sincerely,

Jordan Rodack

Miami Hurricane Editor

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

It’s a rule Miami Hurricanes freshman defensive tackle Nesta Silvera knew about already. But in no w ...

A quick update from University of Miami football practice No. 8, two days after the first fall scrim ...

That dangerous University of Miami defense that dominated last season? Still dominating — the first- ...

Please don’t call DeeJay Dallas a running back. On second thought, you can call him a running back, ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...