UMTV news program wins national award

The UMTV news program, NewsVision, recently was awarded the National Broadcasting Society’ first prize in newscasting.

UMTV, the University’s on-campus television station, has produced NewsVision for the past 10 years. This is the fifth time they have taken first place in the live newscasting category.

“Because the program has won so many times, we have to make it better every year,” said producer of the show and Broadcast Journalism junior Maureen Capasso. “We are proud to have won it again for UM.”

As recipients of the award, six communication students and two faculty members working on the show were invited to go to the awards ceremony in Atlanta, Georgia. Chris Osborne, of CNN, was the emcee for the ceremony.

The students attended a four-day conference where personalities of the industry, such as Jeffrey Kofman of ABC News and UM alumnus Brian Hegner of Fox Sports, gave lectures on production, networking and marketing.

In addition to contributing to the success of the NewsVision show, executive producer Garrett Russo also received an honorable mention in the category of News Package.

The competition was open to all chapters of AERho, the national broadcasting honors society, of which Capasso is the UM chapter president. It is a very competitive society, as more than 100 schools have chapters, including University of Florida and Penn State.

Capasso and Garrett stress the importance of the contributions of the people they work with on the show. “Carolyn Cefalo, our advisor, is tremendous,” says Capasso. “She keeps us in line, and definitely should be recognized for the success of the show.”

Students participating in UMTV are working hard to make next year’s show even bigger and better. “It’s important to realize that it’s entirely campus-run,” says Capasso. “The next time you pass someone filming on campus, you might end up on an award-winning show!”

The trophy NewsVision won will be displayed in the School of Communication.

You can catch NewsVision on channel 24 (on campus) at 7:00 pm on Thursdays.

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...