UMTV news program wins national award

The UMTV news program, NewsVision, recently was awarded the National Broadcasting Society’ first prize in newscasting.

UMTV, the University’s on-campus television station, has produced NewsVision for the past 10 years. This is the fifth time they have taken first place in the live newscasting category.

“Because the program has won so many times, we have to make it better every year,” said producer of the show and Broadcast Journalism junior Maureen Capasso. “We are proud to have won it again for UM.”

As recipients of the award, six communication students and two faculty members working on the show were invited to go to the awards ceremony in Atlanta, Georgia. Chris Osborne, of CNN, was the emcee for the ceremony.

The students attended a four-day conference where personalities of the industry, such as Jeffrey Kofman of ABC News and UM alumnus Brian Hegner of Fox Sports, gave lectures on production, networking and marketing.

In addition to contributing to the success of the NewsVision show, executive producer Garrett Russo also received an honorable mention in the category of News Package.

The competition was open to all chapters of AERho, the national broadcasting honors society, of which Capasso is the UM chapter president. It is a very competitive society, as more than 100 schools have chapters, including University of Florida and Penn State.

Capasso and Garrett stress the importance of the contributions of the people they work with on the show. “Carolyn Cefalo, our advisor, is tremendous,” says Capasso. “She keeps us in line, and definitely should be recognized for the success of the show.”

Students participating in UMTV are working hard to make next year’s show even bigger and better. “It’s important to realize that it’s entirely campus-run,” says Capasso. “The next time you pass someone filming on campus, you might end up on an award-winning show!”

The trophy NewsVision won will be displayed in the School of Communication.

You can catch NewsVision on channel 24 (on campus) at 7:00 pm on Thursdays.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...